Dust Eater

Apr 15, 2015
MASATHVSETS
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had a great day today. Ended up having to walk 3/4 of a mile uphill, and the cellar hole was littered with beer cans and other trash from all the hunters. Just when I thought I was going to get skunked, I ended up digging an ornate silver colonial knee buckle frame. The back is marked "EG", but I still haven't nailed down who the maker is. The buckle really saved my day.

IMG_20161116_131956.jpg
IMG_20161116_132129.jpg IMG_20161116_170216.jpg IMG_20161116_170049.jpg
IMG_20161116_164314.jpg
IMG_20161116_152239.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 21

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the 'EG' is a local Massachusetts Silversmith's maker's mark there should be a record of it somewhere in the archives. Who ever was the maker he probably would have been acquaintances or friends with other Massachusetts silver smiths, your buckle may have been made by a friend of Paul Revere! :icon_thumright:

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a nice find! I've never found a silver one before, much less one that is monogrammed. Very unique. Congrats!

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i was able to find one silversmith with the initials of E G and that was Enos Gunn from Waterbury Conn. Born 1770. Another one from Ellis Gifford from Fall River, Mass. 1825-1866. I believe a lot of the time American silversmiths used their initials as makers marks. Could be an early piece of a silversmith before they had more elaborate marks. Maybe that will help. Killer find though.

Last edited:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beaut Tee ful , unreal and without question a tough dig .
To see an example that is not broken into pieces is wonderful .
Thanks for sharing and GL
CMD

OP
OP
Dust Eater

Dust Eater

Apr 15, 2015
MASATHVSETS
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So i was able to find one silversmith with the initials of E G and that was Enos Gunn from Waterbury Conn. Born 1770. Another one from Ellis Gifford from Fall River, Mass. 1825-1866. I believe a lot of the time American silversmiths used their initials as makers marks. Could be an early piece of a silversmith before they had more elaborate marks. Maybe that will help. Killer find though.
Thanks! I'll look into those names.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure I've seen this beauty in my home state and I'm happy to see it again! That's an incredible find! I've found a ton of buckles and never found even a piece of a silver one. Very tough find. I hope you're able to find that particular mark. That one may be tough as I'm wondering if that may be somebody's initials that owned that. Do you know the history of the site and the family that may have lived there?
More than likely. A makers mark is punched, this is incised.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS. Lovely find.:occasion14:

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah i was starting to think the same. Usually initials when used as makers marks have a rectangle around them or a circle or something correct?

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah i was starting to think the same. Usually initials when used as makers marks have a rectangle around them or a circle or something correct?

Yeah it's a bit crude for a silversmith. That's why I was leaning towards initials

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it's a bit crude for a silversmith. That's why I was leaning towards initials

Yeah leaves us with either the owners putting it on themselves or having the silversmith put it on there....or maybe it was a real small local silversmith just starting off

OP
OP
Dust Eater

Dust Eater

Apr 15, 2015
MASATHVSETS
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Very good catch!
Just did a bit more genealogical research, and it is the owner's initials.

Last edited:

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible buckle! It'd make my day just digging a fragment of a silver one, but your personalized and complete one is outstanding. :headbang:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice piece. Dont know how often colonial and early American silver was marked but my pomander find was unmarked as well. Any non coin colonial silver find is about as good as it realistically gets imo. Its a nice blend of history and rarity. Ill probably never find anything better but Ill keep trying. Congrats

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread