Silver colored "gold dollars"?

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this some kind of plating, or the removal of a plating?? It has a P mint mark if that matters

1443758316033.jpg

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could be an error coin that was stamped on the wrong planchet. Have it looked at by a coin dealer or send it in to NGC or PCGS.

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I hope not. I had a Sac that looked similar but dumped it figuring it was someone's science experiment. But at the same time I hope so for this coin...

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The coin which has been circulated and shows signs of wear and damage was likely subjected to heat which brought one or more of the Manganese, Zinc and/or Nickel compositions to the surface to cause the coloring. This could have happened accidentally or intentionally but either way, it is Post Mint damage and adds no value to the coin.

Frank

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Could be an error coin that was stamped on the wrong planchet. Have it looked at by a coin dealer or send it in to NGC or PCGS.

You only need to weigh the coin to reasonably determine whether it was struck on a correct or incorrect planchet. While most coins are not exact in weight according to the U.S. Mint's specs, a coin of such size (diameter and thickness) will likely not weigh less or more than 0.3 of a gram from it's normal weight. However, since it has been a very long time since I weighed any Golden Dollar coins (Sacagawea Dollars, Presidential Dollars, etc.) the tolerances for these coins being out of weight but still okay, could be higher or lower than the 0.3 gram noted. For weights less than normal, one must account for wear and/or damage but even then, they will likely not weigh outside the number above unless heavily worn or severely damaged. Also, the percentage that a coin could possibly be out of norm weight-wise, goes up with size of the planchet.

Frank

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mint for many years made dollar coins with a young Indian mother with baby on the coins.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Sac is still struck?

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd cut test the rim some where. My dad used to do silver plating and we would plate all kinds of coins, I am not sure what happened to them all since I don't have any of them now so they are probably out there some where making people wonder about silver pennys and things.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd cut test the rim some where. My dad used to do silver plating and we would plate all kinds of coins, I am not sure what happened to them all since I don't have any of them now so they are probably out there some where making people wonder about silver pennys and things.

Please don't. If it has any collector's value (which it likely doesn't) you will ruin it. Causing damage to test is generally a bad idea.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread