foreverRich

Mar 31, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000
,GTA1000, Discovery3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Supposed to rain and turn cold, so decided to get in another hunt today before supper. Boy am I glad I did !!! Five pieces of silver with the best being a 1922 Peace Dollar. I just can't believe how many coins I have found on that one lot. This makes my eighth silver dollar. Seven being SILVER
smilegrin.gif
The guy with me also found a Peace Dollar and a WL Half along with a Standing Liberty Quarter. All coins were found after digging holes and either visual or pin pointer. I didn't include the pennies in the picture because they just take up space.
yes.gif
Here is my find for today. Hope you aren't getting tired of all my posts lately. I can use the break, but not about to give up on that spot yet.
smilegrin.gif
Happy Hunting to all !!

Attachments

• 272017 Hunt.jpg
    272017 Hunt.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 272017 Hunt2.jpg
    272017 Hunt2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 272017 Peace Dollar.jpg
    272017 Peace Dollar.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 103
  • 272017 WL Halves.jpg
    272017 WL Halves.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 15

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a lot that must be. Beat that piece of land to death and get a lot more. Congrats!!!!

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I saw your last thread as well. Thats a lot! A coin shooters dream spot. Keep at it

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Hunt and Congratulations on the Big Silver! :icon_thumleft:

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Digs! Nope, we are not getting tired of your post. On the contrary looking forward to your future finds and post. Your great digs, and others, are inspiration and keeps me dreaming of that jackpot dig. Congratulations!

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, you're NOT using a detector, but digging randomly and using a pinpointer?? Dang, that's a lot of silver. May be easier to shovel onto a screen and just sift everything. Congrats on the great spot and finds.

OP
OP
foreverRich

foreverRich

Mar 31, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000
,GTA1000, Discovery3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, you're NOT using a detector, but digging randomly and using a pinpointer?? Dang, that's a lot of silver. May be easier to shovel onto a screen and just sift everything. Congrats on the great spot and finds.

I considered that but there is so much wood, concrete and trash it would be harder than the way I am doing it.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With that many Massive silver dollars found on a single lot, my mind immediately goes to - what was going on commercially on the site back when ? Was there a hoard or cache of silver dollars buried there ? I could understand finding eight silver dimes on a single lot , quarters possibly - when you get to half dollars , and silver dollars , those are really large coins ! I'm grasping for what this is about . Curious to know if you have found info about the history of the site ? Great finds !

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on my way Ill be there tomorrow LOL just kidding that is amazing one more day like that and I'm voting Banner Keep us posted good job!!!!!!!

OP
OP
foreverRich

foreverRich

Mar 31, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000
,GTA1000, Discovery3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With that many Massive silver dollars found on a single lot, my mind immediately goes to - what was going on commercially on the site back when ? Was there a hoard or cache of silver dollars buried there ? I could understand finding eight silver dimes on a single lot , quarters possibly - when you get to half dollars , and silver dollars , those are really large coins ! I'm grasping for what this is about . Curious to know if you have found info about the history of the site ? Great finds !

It is certainly a unique situation. The house was built in 1918 and second floor started to collapse onto the first floor. only had one family living there. Both owners died and the house was left to deteriorate. The contractor brought in dirt and covered the lot. The second floor collapsed onto the first floor. It became unsafe and had to be torn down. The people had saved jars of coins and hid them around the house. When it was demolished, the people watching said it was "raining money". A lot was collected off the ground until the contractor brought in fill dirt and covered the lot. After that, I started detecting it until I got no more signals. I started digging holes and checking the dirt with a pin pointer. This has been the result. There was so much in the ground the detectors wouldn't pick them up. One silver dollar today was only about 7" deep, but a detector couldn't find it. That's why I keep going back and hunting like I am.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You for the back story ! That clears the mystery quite a bit - now my questions turn to the methods of efficiently recovering as many good coins (and other good saves ) as possible . I'm guessing that you were experiencing a lot of trash masking the good signals - hence the silver dollar not being detectable ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
foreverRich

foreverRich

Mar 31, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000
,GTA1000, Discovery3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You for the back story ! That clears the mystery quite a bit - now my questions turn to the methods of efficiently recovering as many good coins (and other good saves ) as possible . I'm guessing that you were experiencing a lot of trash masking the good signals - hence the silver dollar not being detectable ?

That is correct. That's why digging and visual along with the pin pointer is so successful. A lot of good finds wouldn't register on a detector (like the old wooden clothes pins). I never thought I would be detecting like this but it is FUN !!!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you may have just barely scratched the surface on the treasures in this lot , I wish you all the luck ( and good decisions ) in this effort . Would you please tell me the date of your original thread - I want to get in on this one from the start.

OP
OP
foreverRich

foreverRich

Mar 31, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000
,GTA1000, Discovery3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you may have just barely scratched the surface on the treasures in this lot , I wish you all the luck ( and good decisions ) in this effort . Would you please tell me the date of your original thread - I want to get in on this one from the start.

The first post about this site was Oct. 13, 2016.

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your probably thinking "WOW this must be how Tom Brady feels in the fourth quarter of the Superbowl" :laughing7: . Congrats on your finds and that Peace Dollar sure is a beauty.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting caught up on your earlier posts - another question occurred to me , did you get exclusive access to hunt this lot from the owner ?

OP
OP
foreverRich

foreverRich

Mar 31, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000
,GTA1000, Discovery3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting caught up on your earlier posts - another question occurred to me , did you get exclusive access to hunt this lot from the owner ?

From what I have been able to ascertain the property was acquired by the city for unpaid taxes. So technically it is owned by the city. They allow detecting on city property. Same as schools, parks, etc. Hope this clears up any questions you have.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, that is a lot of silver, congratulations! :occasion14:

Now go back a pound that area and get all the little silver!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions