Silver finally!

Oldhand

Feb 8, 2017
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first silver I ever found. Had to work for it too. 8 inches down and right beside pesky iron. sweep sweep, sweep sweep again and again. Is it just me or is a ctx-3030 a pesky machine to learn? (I mean really learn). I know it is a great detector but there are certainly cases where there is the "right tool" for a job. After using this for a while now I am much more comfortable and have made some pretty amazing (to me) finds but I feel there is indeed a decent learning curve. It finds deep hard to distinguish targets for sure. It just takes a bit more listening for the faintest of signal changes and digging those iffy targets.
Here is the first silver I ever found with the CTX. Makes me wonder how much silver I have walked past due to not knowing how to use this beast, lol.
Thanks for looking and happy hunting!!
Merc1919aw.JPG

Upvote 37

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first silver. She looks pretty good!
These high tec machines can be a bit tricky to learn but once you know the sounds you will be finding good stuff all over the place.
Keep at it and don't give up on your new machine. :occasion14:

OP
OP
O

Oldhand

Feb 8, 2017
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first silver. She looks pretty good!
These high tec machines can be a bit tricky to learn but once you know the sounds you will be finding good stuff all over the place.
Keep at it and don't give up on your new machine. :occasion14:

Thanks Stretch. Certainly not giving up on it at all. Love the machine. It's just a different beast to learn. They all have their learning curves. My wife recently purchased an AT Gold. I am amazed at how easy and mostly accurate it is with very little fuss. Each of these two detectors are very good at their specific type of "jobs", there is just a huge difference in the learning :-)

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Stretch. Certainly not giving up on it at all. Love the machine. It's just a different beast to learn. They all have their learning curves. My wife recently purchased an AT Gold. I am amazed at how easy and mostly accurate it is with very little fuss. Each of these two detectors are very good at their specific type of "jobs", there is just a huge difference in the learning :-)

Thats great that you and wife get out and detect together! You must have some good times and easily can make a day or a weekend out of a hunt.
I have a Deus and it took a bit to get use to that as well but to me, that is part of the fun. The AT Gold and CTX are totally different animals. Not sure if you have done a ton of reading, checked out videos and go in the Minelab section and ask questions.... good guys and gals here ready to share info and help.
Once you spend the time to get to know that CTX you will love it and be having a ton of fun digging up all sorts of goodies.

Beige

Greenie
Jul 17, 2013
Edgar, WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In high iron concentration areas try using 2 tone ferrous mode with an open screen. You'll hear only 2 different tones obviously, a low ferrous tone and a higher nonferrous tone. Having the CTX in this mode will greatly help with target seperation. You will hear ALOT of ferrous targets (if you can't stand all the noise turn the volume down to where you can stand it) but work the area SLOW. It may seem overwhelming when you first start using this method but trust me, you will adapt and it will be completely worth it. Remember to BE PATIENT(that is one of my worst qualities while detecting but once I relax the coins start showing up in those difficult areas). Use this method for a while and you'll master it. Soon enough you'll be finding all the coins that the cherry pickers leave behind!

bubbaslight

Greenie
Mar 17, 2017
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab 800, Fisher CZ20, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very impressive first silver. The date is also pretty cool.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on your 1st silver, may your coil sweep many more!

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the first silver. What is your coil size? Maybe worth putting on a smaller DD or a coin shooter coil. I course you sacrifice depth but it maybe worth it in trashy areas.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first silver with that detector. Trapperart said it best, and I agree. About 10 years ago, I decided to buy a Minelab ( A brand that I had never owned ) and it took me a complete year (didnt keep track of hours but I used it at least once a week) to learn that detector. Glad I put in the time and didnt give up. You will learn your machine over time.

OP
OP
O

Oldhand

Feb 8, 2017
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In high iron concentration areas try using 2 tone ferrous mode with an open screen. You'll hear only 2 different tones obviously, a low ferrous tone and a higher nonferrous tone. Having the CTX in this mode will greatly help with target seperation. You will hear ALOT of ferrous targets (if you can't stand all the noise turn the volume down to where you can stand it) but work the area SLOW. It may seem overwhelming when you first start using this method but trust me, you will adapt and it will be completely worth it. Remember to BE PATIENT(that is one of my worst qualities while detecting but once I relax the coins start showing up in those difficult areas). Use this method for a while and you'll master it. Soon enough you'll be finding all the coins that the cherry pickers leave behind!

Beige,
Thanks for the reply. That is the exact mode I run it in. It is indeed a bit to get used to in the beginning but as you stated it is well worth it. I used the stock programs for about the first 80 hours of use of the ctx. I then started applying patterns of what I had seen for my environment and made my own modes. The mode I currently use is derived from DrTones and modified for my needs. Been using this adjusted pattern for about 60 hours now. Seems to be working very well and has not cut down on the standard RW and CW finds.
Thanks again,
Oldhand

OP
OP
O

Oldhand

Feb 8, 2017
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the first silver. What is your coil size? Maybe worth putting on a smaller DD or a coin shooter coil. I course you sacrifice depth but it maybe worth it in trashy areas.

Neohdetectorist,
Thanks for the reply. Right now i am using the stock 11 inch coil. Will indeed be buying a smaller coil to have in the arsenal.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Comgrats on your first silver!!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those Mercs,
Congrats on your first silver.
When it comes to the CTX,, patience is key.
Sometimes it is completely audio that you have to go by.

Revrob

Jan 24, 2016
Cherry Valley
Detector(s) used
At pro, Nokta FoRs CoRe, equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love mercs, awesome find! My first find was two mercs in the same hole, after that I had a run finding 12 more in the next few weeks. Felt so good after struggling with the at pro. You realize after awhile that you have to have a connection to your detector. You gotta use it all the time, learn its language and let it speak to you, sounds crazy, but we all know what i mean, it takes a while.

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first silver was a merc, too, so we're in the same club. It took me about 3 1/2 months of MDing. Congratulations and may you find many more. 7up

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread