Silver for breakfast

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Went out this morning to the old swimming hole I keep saying I'll never go back to, because I keep saying I've combed it over and over. I took a rake and removed an area of heavy brush about 15ft by 10 ft along the side of the old bridge ramp. Started detecting that area and found two newer pennies (bummer) and then hit a 1932 Merc. dime. For some reason it's blue in color, though all the other silver from this site has come out looking good. Any thoughts? I then found a newer dime I then found an old pocket watch filled with ants who were not too happy. The name as best I can read on the watch is "Bannetyne Watch" or Bainatyne or Ballantyne, any thoughts? Not sure what it's made of, but perhaps brass. It gave copper/silver reading on my detector. All these were in the 15 x 10 ft of raked area. Then I went over some places in the same site I've been over 15 times before along with True_Metal going over them several times. I figured we had all of the silver, but I got a good reading and out popped a 1946 Rosy dime that looks like it just came out of the mint. Headed home after that. Luckily there's another bridge ramp on the other side of the creek that needs to be completely raked to detect it. I am certain there are more coins and other stuff there. Will let you know...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Don't know if it matters for the blue tint, but I meant 1923 Merc. dime, not 32.

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Very cool. Thanks for the ID. Bet they didn't know the watches would double as ant farms decades later.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent, Bergie! Good job! You were right on about the raking and it paid off. 8) Hopefully that other side will give up more goodies as well. I'm surprised at that rosie dime as we have pounded the hell out of that side again and again. Makes me want to give it another run and not think its hunted out just yet. Very cool! 8)

Bring that watch tuesday if you will, would like to check it out.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Bridge ramps can be fun places to hunt, if they aren't too trashy. Sounds like your Merc found a patch of dirt with a little sulfur in it. That might be coming from oil from the side of the road, or something. Looking forward to pix, if you can post them. Good luck on the other side!

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nedigger said:
Just goes to show "never say never" or at least never say "hunted out". Great finds and keep it up! HH.

Yep. I'm going to give it hell again and see what i can pull up. I dig more Wheaties every time i go thru it, but maybe i will get lucky with some more silver or an indian head.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions