Silver ID help needed

Crawdigger

Mar 4, 2013
SE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to an old baseball field this morning and found mostly trash and clad. However, I did find one item that I nearly threw away as trash because it looked so much like aluminum. I'm sure glad I didn't! It turns out that after I gave my best attempts to make it "round" again, I was able to make out what appears to me "925". On the exact opposite side appears to be either "MO" or "OW". There also seems to be a welded seam.
The area has history beginning around the 1770's.
Can anybody help with an ID? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1426369900.735471.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1426369948.425511.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1426369964.494243.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1426369982.779648.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1426370003.916242.jpg

Upvote 3
I think the 925 means 92.5% by mass of silver content if im not mistaken. So you have found the highest quality of a sterling silver jewelry. Not sure on the other stuff but still a great find.

The 925 is an equivalent to the Sterling mark since both are indicating that a given item is 925 parts per 1000 pure silver . Nice Find .

Could the "MO" be initials? Or maybe company that made it?

Hi Crawdigger; It is .925 Silver. I believe it is a bracelet from the 1960's. Reason I say that is that it was found in a baseball field. It was also very popular in the 1960's to make crafted jewelry. Given also it's very rough details it fits that mold very nicely. Thing is that crafted jewelry is more valuable than just the silver weight as a collectors item so don't sell it for scrap ok. The Letters could be the Makers Mark ok. Folks often tried to start their own little jewelry businesses hoping their own particular styles would catch on. It looks like this guy did not try very hard though. For a price take the weight and figure out the scrap price. Add 30% to the scrap price and you will have your value ok. Happy Hunting. PEACE:RONB

Hi Crawdigger; It is .925 Silver. I believe it is a bracelet from the 1960's. Reason I say that is that it was found in a baseball field. It was also very popular in the 1960's to make crafted jewelry. Given also it's very rough details it fits that mold very nicely. Thing is that crafted jewelry is more valuable than just the silver weight as a collectors item so don't sell it for scrap ok. The Letters could be the Makers Mark ok. Folks often tried to start their own little jewelry businesses hoping their own particular styles would catch on. It looks like this guy did not try very hard though. For a price take the weight and figure out the scrap price. Add 30% to the scrap price and you will have your value ok. Happy Hunting. PEACE:RONB

Barker, you are so close! Lol. I continued searching and this is what I found out. It is definitely .925 sterling silver. The MO is the mark required by the Italian government to show that the piece was made in Modena, Italy. Dates can be estimated due to changes in the designs of the marks as required by. This particular ring was made in Italy between 1944 and 1968.
Could this have been brought back from the war? Hmmmm....... Thanks and HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back