Silver Ingot Barge in Perth Amboy?

ted750

Aug 20, 2006
Well, as many of you know, I'm only 15, but still, I'm off on my first "serious" treasure expedition. Me, my father, and a friend of his are very interested in the salvage of a barge of silver ingots which supposedely sank off staten island in 1903 while being shipped to the smelters. We have the means to recover a treasure if we ever actually succeeded in locating one, and I already have some capital to pay for expensive jazzy location and salvage equipment. What I really need now though is some basic information on this barge and any New York state salvage laws and a way we might be able to keep a portion of the loot. I know where the initial salvagers found the scattered pile of ingots, but any other information about this wreck would be useful, (for instance, how to lift a 100 pound ingot off the ocean floor....) and also any information about how to go about claiming a wreck in New York State would be very much appreciated. Now don't think I'm jumping into this, I realize the great amount of research and planning necessary, and don't expect the actual diving to commence for a few years. I just thought I would check in with you guys to see if you had any blatantly useful information that would just knock my socks off.

Thanks in advance for all the info,

Ted

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ted: regarding salvage laws and historical recovery in New York state, you may want to start here:

http://www.nysparks.state.ny.us/shpo/

Someone there should be able to help you or direct you to the right department.

Tom

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
I don't think you are going to have much luck. The reason that only 80 percent of the ingots were recovered is because that huge claw they were using pushed the missing bars deep into the mud. And that was the early 1900s. Now they are even deeper.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
allen_idaho said:
I don't think you are going to have much luck. The reason that only 80 percent of the ingots were recovered is because that huge claw they were using pushed the missing bars deep into the mud. And that was the early 1900s. Now they are even deeper.

Hello Allen,

What kind of claw was used for this salvage? How deep was it? is there any information online about the salvage?

Thanks,

Chagy......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread