Silver is silver. Is it worthy the price difference?

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447418294.655221.jpg

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Nope - just another "pretty". Some people like pretty. Highly unlikely to develop collectible value.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok let me break it down for you.
American silver Eagles are actually bullion Coins that track close to spot, usually 2$ overs because the fact that it is a 1$ coin that adds to the value. Dont let the year of the coin fool you, when you go to sell back to most dealers. All you will get is spot + 2$, unless it is one of the super rare/ proof coins. Because ASE, are minted on Demand, thus unlimited numbers of 2015, 2014 etc... there is millions of each year.

Mexican Libertad are collector bullion, They sell with higher premiums, and over time the premiums will increase a little. Due to the fact that they are minted in "Limited" quantity.

the Sunshine minting round is just a round, a silver bullion meant for someone wanting to store their wealth. the premiums is just to cover the cost of running a business. When you go to sell chances are dealers are going to try and under cut you a little.

The way i buy silver is, Buy rounds to build up your stack to a level you feel is right. Once you reach that level, stop buying rounds and start buying some government issued coins when ever there is a sale for a GREAT Deal. Focus on the coins that will gain a higher premium over time, ie the AUS Lunar series, Chinese Pandas, etc.. Because Those are your value holders in a tanking silver market.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver isn't always silver, as far as price goes. As the spot price of silver increases, premiums decrease. Semi-key dates begin to "disappear". Older junk silver no longer brings more than newer junk silver - for example junk '64 Kennedy halves bring the same as junk Bens and/or Walkers. There is a price of silver whereas a 1916D Merc and a 1964 Roosevelt dime would sell for the same amount, albeit a completely unobtainable number without likely financial collapse happening beforehand.

Conversely, when the spot price drops, premiums rise. Semi-key dates reappear. Older typically brings more than newer (Walkers and Mercs bring a premium over 90% Kens and Rosies). "Pretty" bullion costs more than "Generic" bullion. etc etc etc

Whether or not one type of silver is "worth" the additional cost over another type of silver will mostly be determined by the price of silver when you sell.

OP
OP
Darth Walker

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys for your thinking

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver isn't always silver, as far as price goes. As the spot price of silver increases, premiums decrease. Semi-key dates begin to "disappear". Older junk silver no longer brings more than newer junk silver - for example junk '64 Kennedy halves bring the same as junk Bens and/or Walkers. There is a price of silver whereas a 1916D Merc and a 1964 Roosevelt dime would sell for the same amount, albeit a completely unobtainable number without likely financial collapse happening beforehand.

Conversely, when the spot price drops, premiums rise. Semi-key dates reappear. Older typically brings more than newer (Walkers and Mercs bring a premium over 90% Kens and Rosies). "Pretty" bullion costs more than "Generic" bullion. etc etc etc

Whether or not one type of silver is "worth" the additional cost over another type of silver will mostly be determined by the price of silver when you sell.

Well said, sir.

I'd love to see a 16-d dime and a 64 selling for the same amount. Anyone with even a modest silver stash would be very rich. [emoji106]

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said, sir.

I'd love to see a 16-d dime and a 64 selling for the same amount. Anyone with even a modest silver stash would be very rich. [emoji106]

I doubt it. A loaf of bread would likely cost tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Last edited:

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My feeling is buy what you like and accomplish whatever your goals are.

What is "worth it" to some isnt to others.

I like libertads and personally prefer them to the ASE. I can generally find them for about the same price point local.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread