Silver Mine in Pa. ??? True or Not

gods country girl

May 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crawling in caves i can handle , but snakes no way......lol.

I don't think there is as many snakes as people think.I have hiked and fished all over this area and never come across any rattlesnakes.

once while searching caves around rock run we found a garbage bag with shoes sticking out.needless to say we were quite freaked out, but it turned out to be a joke.it was old phone books and clothes stuffed in the bag with the shoes stuck out the end.

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
Gods Country Girl,
I have some information about silver in Watrous area, Marsh Land, Elk Run area. I don't remember where I got it from. May one of your posts.

gods country girl

May 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is from the history of elk run printed in 1929 .

it mentions a silver mine
it also mentions a mineral springs in Gardeau ( could it be the same as the one from the tale of the lost sillver?)

Attachments

• the history of elk run   1929 page 22-23.jpg
    the history of elk run 1929 page 22-23.jpg
    370.9 KB · Views: 3,647

Potter Poker

Jan 29, 2007
Potter County, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hi from Potter Poker, there was a gold mine near Coudersport, Pa., it was supposedly a comercial mine at one time (probably about 15 or so years ago, looking on line the source said it was near Sweden Valley, Pa., just off route 6).
There was also supposed to be silver found near the old Ice Mine in Sweden valley. The story says in the early 1900's a man of Indian descent used to bring in big hunks of raw silver to the local general store to pay for groceries, and when others tried to follow him to discover where the source was they would always loose him in the woods, but the info was he always went toward the mountain where the Ice Mine was discovered. That's the story!

gods country girl

May 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is it possible that the ice caves ( ice mine) may also be natural deposits of silver?? my step brother has an ice cave behind his house( near coudersport), not very large,it been a very long time since i been there, will have to try and get over there and check it out closer.

orion024

Jan 4, 2010
gods country girl said:
is it possible that the ice caves ( ice mine) may also be natural deposits of silver?? my step brother has an ice cave behind his house( near coudersport), not very large,it been a very long time since i been there, will have to try and get over there and check it out closer.

It is very well possible, usually where there's gold and gems, there's silver too! Silver is found around quartz, lead, and galena! Silver veins are made by hydrothermal activity, it takes a deep crack too the earth's crust, which is very hot, then there has to be a water source involved too, to fill the void of the crack, this all mixes together with the minerals present, and some how silver comes out, usually found with various other minerals bonded together!

ginnysdaddy

Aug 10, 2007
Jeannette, PA (Westmoreland Co.)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1845 an Indian from Wisconsin came hither to explore the mineral lands of which he heard the old men of his tribe speak. After a search of several weeks he returned disappointed. Some years before a white man was taken hither blindfolded, and the visor lowered to permit him to see the silver mines. In 1867 a Frenchman came hither from the west to search for the mysterious silver deposit, but was unsuccessful. Within a mile of the old Daniel Huddlestone farm, in Tionesta township, on warrant 2827, are the ditches of prehistoric miners, which were first explored by James Evans, of Franklin.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~paforest/history/chapt1.htm

silverfordinc

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To any and all who are interested in the topic of silver at the old Pequea silver mine in Lancaster County Pa. I am Christopher L. Haefner. When I was only 13 I worked at the mine when it was preparing to become "Silverford" a new tourist place. I was their first tour guide. The mine had been abandoned by then for 99 years, when silver was being taken. Inadvertently workers broke into the water table down a 100-foot shaft. Back then there was no electricity to run pumps so the mining stopped. We drained the shafts and I went down on a 100-foot bull rope. I rediscovered the thick veins of silver again (argentiferous galena) The owner, a millionaire, went on a 14-year quest to get at the silver by trying to get permission to quarry there. He was not allowed. But he put up a permit which he hoped would scare away adjacent landowners in the hopes he would someday get permission. This, too, failed. He did turn the property into a huge entertainment place by bringing country-music stars there to perform. In all, 700,000 people came. In 2009 I wrote an extensive book detailing this secret effort the millionaire made to get the silver. He died in 1989 and his quest died along with hime - true story. The book is titled,"The Silver! Mine! by Christopher L. Haefner... I have over 3,000 pieces of silver I took from the mine from 1973 to 1976. Anyone can buy a piece from me. Prices range mostly from $4 to $20 each. Just e-mail me at [email protected]
Chris Haefner

silverfordinc

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The book I wrote and recently released "The Silver! Mine!" by Christopher L. Haefner identifies the off-property area where the new silver was found. It is a case where I knew where it was before I actually could prove it. It took me 30 years to come to it. Anyone who purchases a copy of the book can contact me about coming to the new silver site in southern Pa. but it will have to be at a convenient time for me, though, I am there quite often. My personal e-mail is [email protected].

Attachments

• silver-mine-christopher-l-haefner-hardcover-cover-art.jpg
    silver-mine-christopher-l-haefner-hardcover-cover-art.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 2,264

silverfordinc

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silverfordinc said:
More silver has been discovered near this site! In 2011, I discovered another nearby silver site just off-property from the main mine. Two exploratory holes have yielded a significant amout of silver ore so far! This silver appears to be richer than what was previously taken from the main mine. A 2013 operation is planned to plunge into the contact-zone formation and get the ore!

OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a lot of pictures of caves and mines posted here but what does the silver look like or what should we be looking for :dontknow: . Does anyone have pictures of silver ore :icon_scratch: Thank You

silverfordinc

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FinderKeeper said:
We have a lot of pictures of caves and mines posted here but what does the silver look like or what should we be looking for :dontknow: . Does anyone have pictures of silver ore :icon_scratch: Thank You
Here is my profile picture - Chris Haefner - I am holding a 50-pound piece of formation rock which has in it about 1-pound of silver ore. This is from the Pequea Silver Mine in Lancaster County Pa.
Chris Haefner

Attachments

• 120103-123905.jpg
    120103-123905.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,416
OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hay Chris, Thanks for the photo, Good job. So silver ore will look like silver or something that when we see it we should know it could be silver ore. I was told silver turned black in time so I thought I would be looking for something black.
One question, what kind of stone is that you have in the picture and has silver ore been found in sand stone . We have a site were the clay went from a light and dark brown to a light gray and dark gray with some black streaks in it. DCNR said we could be close to pig iron. Iron and steel give off a redish brown rust but pig iron turns black. Pig iron can date back to 1500's. We have a site in sand stone were we have silver readings down under and we can't pin point it to just one spot its just all over a 12' x 12' area. So it has to be smaller coins, or chunks of silver ore, or smaller bars of silver. My GPL says its there but to small to pin point it.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So silver ore will look like silver or something that when we see it we should know it could be silver ore.

No, silver ore can be black or brownish. Here in our area of South Dakota, most of the silver ore is in black rock.

Beth

Attachments

• SD silver ore.jpg
    SD silver ore.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,469

silverfordinc

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FinderKeeper said:
Hay Chris, Thanks for the photo, Good job. So silver ore will look like silver or something that when we see it we should know it could be silver ore. I was told silver turned black in time so I thought I would be looking for something black.
One question, what kind of stone is that you have in the picture and has silver ore been found in sand stone . We have a site were the clay went from a light and dark brown to a light gray and dark gray with some black streaks in it. DCNR said we could be close to pig iron. Iron and steel give off a redish brown rust but pig iron turns black. Pig iron can date back to 1500's. We have a site in sand stone were we have silver readings down under and we can't pin point it to just one spot its just all over a 12' x 12' area. So it has to be smaller coins, or chunks of silver ore, or smaller bars of silver. My GPL says its there but to small to pin point it.
In this case - the case of our Pennsylvania silver mine - the silver ore is an argentiferous galena - that's a silver-bearing lead sulfide. Because the silver atoms were associated with lead it allows for a lusterous display; a shiny surface. The trick to telling just how much silver is present in the ore is A) the level of luster... and B) the cubit of galena - the host mineral - gets warped and looks less like a cubit. The formation is vintage dolomite that is crusted over, Then there's quartz which holds the silver ore; there because of hydrothermal leaching - the whole reason for having the presence of silver possible. It is usually at these 'contact zones' that the silver ore is found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread