Silver Mining 2009

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I started out the year doing road trips, buying dime boxes, and a few half dollar boxes. By summer I was doing road trips everyday. I ended the year just doing half dollar boxes once a week, and picking up some dimes.
In 2010 as long as it lasts I'll just be doing 12 boxes of halves a week.
I would do more ,but as always, dumping remains a problem, and is in my opinion the biggest stumbling block with this hobby.
Boxes of Dimes and Halves remained the same from the beginning to the end of the year. I'm not getting more or less keepers per box. If anything, I'm getting less skunk boxes.
I had a few good road trips where I grabbed multiple solid rolls of halves.
Never had a dream box, not even close. Odds are that I will get one eventually. I did pick up an interesting box last month that had 6 keepers showing. Wow ! Bens and Walkers ! Alas, the 6 that were showing was all that there was.
For me this is a love/hate type of a hobby. I love searching, even if I only find one keeper. I hate multiple skunk boxes, which fortunately I haven't had in several months. I detest with a passion dumping coins. When I am done with this chore I am relieved because I remain in the game for another week,at least.
So here is what I got for the year. For some, it will seem like a small amount,to others it will seem like a lot.
As for me I'm satisfied with this years results

8x War Nickels 3x Buffalo
27x Mercury Dimes 2x Barber Dimes
351x Roosevelt Dimes
45x Washington Quarters 1x SLQ
1808 x 40% Kennedy Halves
95x WLH
133x Franklin Halves
265x 1964 Kennedy Halves
1x 40% Eisenhower Dollar
14x 80% Canadian Silver Dimes 5x 50%
2x 80% Canadian Silver Quarters 2x Canadian Silver Halves
2x Barber Half Dollars
2x Columbus Halves
Also got a few of the more common commemorative halves which I lumped in with the 40's or 90's totals.
Picked up a roll or so of proof halves which I gave to my son ScoobaSteve who collects them.
Found a box of 2009 dimes,sold them when prices were high, and split the proceeds with Scooba who saved the day by preventing me from tossing them as a skunk box.
Also collected a good size jar of foreign coins which my 4 year old grandaughter saves.
End of report
HH
Rich Hartford

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I have a Love/Hate delema myself in regards to this hobby, all the things you mentioned + .... I love seeing all the huge scores people post and I hate all the huge scores people post.... Wrote a poem about it. Like to hear it? Here it is.

Why oh why,
Can't I,
Score a score.
Like the score's
I've seen here before.

Well I keep searching and keep hoping.

Mojo

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
coinmojo said:
I have a Love/Hate delema myself in regards to this hobby, all the things you mentioned + .... I love seeing all the huge scores people post and I hate all the huge scores people post.... Wrote a poem about it. Like to hear it? Here it is.

Why oh why,
Can't I,
Score a score.
Like the score's
I've seen here before.

Well I keep searching and keep hoping.

Mojo
A good photographer and a poet as well.
I too enjoy reading about other peoples big scores. I daydream about getting 12 dream boxes at one time. Of course in the unlikely event that that happened I'd be forced to buy a camera. A foreign made camera that does not use film. Then after going through the instructions in 12 different languages and becoming completely confused I'd have to get lessons from the kid next door.

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
twinsrule said:
What are the dates for Canadian silver dimes and quarters?

The 50% dimes are all 1968's that passed the magnet test. The oldest dime is a 1940. As for the rest I don't remember the dates off hand.
Rich

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
serious totals for the year Rich! congrats

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
Very nice!! Happy New Year!

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
Very nice. I'm thinking on getting into CRH, besides metal detecting. Give me something to do on rainy days.
:icon_sunny: HH in 2010 :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread