Silver Navajo Ring?

ScaredOfClowns

Apr 21, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett ProPointer, Garrett ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Took advantage of the beautiful weather and went out for a hunt today. It was my first hunt in nearly two months, and I was happy to score a little silver ring.

When I cleaned it I was surprised to find that it's stamped with sunburst, arrows and what appear to be swastikas. I know they were ancient symbols before the nazis hijacked them, and according to Google these designs were commonly used on Navajo silver rings made for tourists.

There are no other markings on the ring, but I'm sure it's silver. It's tiny - barely fits on my pinky - but I'm happy to find silver any day. Hopefully there's more waiting for me out there now that the weather is cooling down.

Thanks for looking - HH!

Ring - Top View.jpg Ring - Side View.jpg In the Hole - 20170826.jpg

Upvote 17

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice looking ring, congrats on the keeper.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cool, congrats

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah , that's a nice little ring - you are correct it may well be a piece that was made during the 1930's before the "swastika " became closely associated with the Nazis . Look up Fred Harvey and the variety of jewelry sold through his railroad hotel / giftshops - your ring fits the style and period of this hotelier . Many Eastern tourists took the train out to the wilds of New Mexico , Arizona ,So. California etc. and encountered Native American style craftwork like your ring , and brought it back to Buck's County ,PA. and everywhere else . The stone likely had sawdust under it when originally set - over the decades this has disintegrated causing the stone to sink below the bezel height .Nice Find !

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the very nice ring! :occasion14:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just love the stone! Overall one nice ring. Congratulations!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love Navaho silver and you have one sweet little ring there!:love4: You should get out more often.:hello:

OP
OP
S

ScaredOfClowns

Apr 21, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett ProPointer, Garrett ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah , that's a nice little ring - you are correct it may well be a piece that was made during the 1930's before the "swastika " became closely associated with the Nazis . Look up Fred Harvey and the variety of jewelry sold through his railroad hotel / giftshops - your ring fits the style and period of this hotelier . Many Eastern tourists took the train out to the wilds of New Mexico , Arizona ,So. California etc. and encountered Native American style craftwork like your ring , and brought it back to Buck's County ,PA. and everywhere else . The stone likely had sawdust under it when originally set - over the decades this has disintegrated causing the stone to sink below the bezel height .Nice Find !

After some Googling, I agree that my ring does look a lot like those made by Fred Harvey. It's unmarked, so I suppose it's also possible it was made by an imitator. In any case, I greatly appreciate your insight - thanks!

rickb2202

Jan 30, 2015
nuevo mexico
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. The '' swastika '' was called whirling logs by the Navajo and was a good luck symbol.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That ring would make my day.
Congrats