silver pendant, tokens, and coins: you just never know sometimes!

Lilly0fA

Feb 13, 2015
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a hunt today in an area where I have found quite a lot of great coins in the past. I didn't have a whole lot of time today but the weather was great! I ended up finding a 1941 wheat penny, two tokens, and a silver dragon pendant. I have named him Magellan :wink: There isn't an inscribed "925" on it but it's heavy, rang up as silver, has the silver 'clink' sound when dropped, and looks like silver when cleaned. I wonder...what decade is it from? hard to say!

The tokens are fairly modern I think: "Winchester Mystery House, San Hose, CA" and "Illusionz, Magical Entertainment Center"

IMG_4385.JPG FullSizeRender (2).jpg

FullSizeRender (8).jpg FullSizeRender (7).jpg FullSizeRender (6).jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 14
OP
OP
Lilly0fA

Lilly0fA

Feb 13, 2015
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I looked at your profile just now and you have quite the silver coin collection! I'd love to find older silver...Over here on the West Coast, things just aren't as old as the East Coast. I am hopeful though!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW ! Cool Winged Dragon Lilly !

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a solid hunt right there Lilly!

RustyRelicHunter

Oct 5, 2004
SC
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
A good free method of testing for silver is the Ice Cube Test. Put one edge or side of the object on an ice cube and it will get very cold very quickly (usually in a few seconds) if it is silver. This is because silver is one of the best heat conductors of all metals. Also, the ice cube will usually start to melt almost immediately because the silver object is transferring heat to the ice.

Please let us know how the test turns out.

Russ

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice dragon! I hope its silver!

OP
OP
Lilly0fA

Lilly0fA

Feb 13, 2015
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RustyRelicHunter: I actually tried the ice cube last night! It did get cold very quickly and the ice also melted fast. I am pretty sure it's silver...Everything about it is silver-like :) I might just buy one of those test kits to confirm...

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That Winchester House souvenir is cool, I also like that silver Dragon. It looks like you found some nice keepers today.:thumbsup:

RustyRelicHunter

Oct 5, 2004
SC
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
I am glad to hear that it is probably silver. The acid testing kits seem to work better for me on gold items but the silver acid is not as reliable as the ice cube method.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NICE FIND AND NEEET DRAGON ..

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Dragon Lilly ! I agree looks to be Silver ! I think it's fairly modern - (1980's on ) just a guess based on style , Nice.

OP
OP
Lilly0fA

Lilly0fA

Feb 13, 2015
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RusyRelicHunter: I did another ice test with the dragon. It definitely passed! The whole piece became cold very fast, though I only had the tip of the wing touching the ice. I could practically cut the ice cube in half by pushing the dragon into the cube; it melted the ice cube so fast. Definitely silver!

Thanks!

Argentium, yes I think it's very 1980's! I laugh thinking about how it used to be in style :hello2:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're killin' it.

I love old coins but I really love Magellan, the dragon who was hiding in the dirt just waiting for you to come along and release him.
That's definitely a cool looking pendant and a great find. Any silver always is in my book.
Nothing wrong with that big token and the wheaties either.

Those "no cash value" tokens show up quite often in my area. I know that Roger Williams mint that makes some of them has been around for about 75 years. Some of them can be kinda' old so it never hurts to double check them.

Congrats on another great hunt.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions