Silver Plate

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can find a small obscure spot, make a small file mark, a lot of those large plated items were silver over either brass or copper. Do NOT do that if a pristine, presentation , or part of a collectible set! My scrap buyer likes those pieces, and any that don't have collector, or historical signifigence go to him. But as Don already stated, be sure to research the hallmarks, and determine the maker, and time era.

OP
OP
Citiboy289

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks neighbor gave it to us in exchange for an extra old lawnmower we had it says ASCOT Sheffield Style reproduction It has some black showing through so I gather even more now its Plated --- must weigh 20 lbs in total anyway takes up alot less space than a lawnmower If I find out anything I will post it But Thanks again

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your platter looks like the one in the link IMO keep it if not ,ie, scratched dented tarnished [ where it will take you a few hours and alot of TARNEX to get it looking any where near like the one on the link] " all my opinion " I would scrap it for the same price # 1 bare bright Copper would pay or more & that's if I did not want to put in the time to refinish it and resell it. All this from a guy who still owns several pounds of au plated silverware ,small trays etc , I need to take my own advice and quit hoarding this stuff. p.s. I have cleaned up a few of the larger serving pieces like spoons pie cutters /servers and they came out well but it was a pain not like on TV [just dip & it's clean] but that was 5 yrs ago and their still just sitting ..:icon_scratch: ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions