Silver plated pieced

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
Hi I am new to his forum and love reading it. I was wondering if anyone buys silver plated items to recycle? Are they accepted at the recycling plants? I pass up alot of this stuff in my yard sale trips. My mother purchases a whole tea set that was silver over copper for $5. It's pretty beat up thouh. Will the scrap yard take these items? Also the platters, flatware.... Have I been passing up an easy money maker over the last Couple years?

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi isabella1,
Don't have an answer to your question, but I did want to say "Welcome!"
apush

OP
OP
I

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
Awesome, thanks for your reply. I have passed up alot of this stuff in the past. Ill keep a look out now if its cheap!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Most of the silver plate is plated brass.

I've bought a ton of this stuff in the past, when I can find it cheap, and then scrap it.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
You can buy silverplated stuff for scrap but I would try to get it as CHEAP AS POSSIBLE. Like, practically free - cheap. I personally buy silverplated flatware and throw it in a large USPS flat rate box. When full, it is going up on ebay. Did REALLY well with that before.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget that some silverplated stuff is worth more than scrap. Always check that out before scrapping it. Do a copleted listings search on ebay for silverplate and you'll get an idea of what I mean.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread