🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't been able to get out much lately due to work and house projects. I'm finally getting around to posting a cool find from last week. I got out for a couple hours last Monday before the snow storm hit. It was a pretty bad hunt and after 2 hours I had a couple flat buttons and the front off a two piece button. I decided to leave my gear on and swing on the 30 min walk back to my car. After a couple aluminum cans and lots of shot shells, I got another slamming can signal. It was nearly dark, but I dug it anyway. I flipped the plug over and what looked like another aluminum can top was laying there. As soon as I picked it up to toss it in my pouch I realized it was a complete pocket watch. It was nearly dark and I assumed it was plated, but I wrapped it in a paper towel and headed out.

After getting home I unwrapped the paper towel and realized some of the fob chain was still left on the watch.

IMG_20170313_204035.jpg

After a quick rinse I realized it was not plated at all, but a complete silver pocket watch. I know a bit about pocket watches and realized it was most likely European from around the late 1800's to early 1900's. It was a pin set watch and I figured 80% or coin silver. Being silver, the hinges were in great shape so I knew I could get it open.

IMG_20170313_213045.jpg

I was able to pry the back open and as I was expecting, it appears to be European. The inside movement cover says "Cylindre 10 Rubis". The inside movement cover appears to be plated brass so it left some green on the inside of the case.

IMG_20170317_163627.jpg

I was expecting this thing to be packed with dirt, but it was relatively clean inside for spending 100 years in the dirt. All the iron parts were very rusted, but the silver and brass was in great shape.

If this was an American made pocket watch, there would be a serial number on the movement that is easily looked up to pin down a date. These European watches do not have serial numbers.

IMG_20170317_163650.jpg

IMG_20170317_163845_1.jpg

IMG_20170317_163918~2.jpg

Here is the total haul for the few hours I was out. It would have been one of the hunts I don't share on here if it wasnt for this watch showing up at the very end.

IMG_20170319_194237.jpg

After getting it open, I cleaned off the loose dirt and verdigris from the plated movement cover. I gave the movement a spray of WD40 and let it sit for a couple days to make sure it was dry and coated to keep the iron from rusting anymore as it sits in a display case.

IMG_20170319_194332.jpg

IMG_20170319_194429.jpg

IMG_20170319_194153.jpg

The porcelain face is in pretty rough shape, but with the light just right, you can see the numbers that used to be on it.

IMG_20170317_184945.jpg

The inside of the case has a couple hallmarks, however they are pretty hard to read. One is a moon and the other is very weakly stamped. I am fairly sure this case is 80% silver or .800

IMG_20170317_170657.jpg

This was a cool find for me. We always find lots of pocket watch pieces, but this was only my second complete watch... and my first silver one. They were typically plated and silver (or gold) cases were not so common. So I was pretty lucky to stumble across this signal in mid stride as I was walking back to my car.

Last edited:
Upvote 43

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome silver pocket watch find! I've found 3 or 4 but they were not silver and always way to toasted to save. Some day I hope to find one as nice as yours!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great cleaning job! She's a keeper! Congrats! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds as always, That watch would be great restored.. Thanks for sharing!!!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess I'll vote for the pocket watch as the find of the day over those buttons ... ha! That's a really cool piece Brad, and you did a great job of cleaning it up as usual. I didn't realize you were a watch aficionado - now I know who to go to when I dig the next time piece related relic.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
A really cool find Brad. You did a great job with the restoration, will be a beautiful display piece.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thing is sweet! I got a silver pocket watch cover once but never the whole watch. Nice find.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I'll vote for the pocket watch as the find of the day over those buttons ... ha! That's a really cool piece Brad, and you did a great job of cleaning it up as usual. I didn't realize you were a watch aficionado - now I know who to go to when I dig the next time piece related relic.

Thanks a ton Bill! I know a little about pocket watches, but pretty much just the American companies like Elgin and Waltham... and even then, I only know a little. You can appreciate this, because the engineer in me was fascinated by pocket watch movements! So a few winters ago I picked up a handful of watches all non-running. I read a lot and learned how to service them and the proper tools and oils and stuff. Most just needed to be cleaned\serviced since dust and lint builds up on the jewels and just a small amount of friction can make a watch stop running. About 75% of the watches I got, I had running just by cleaning them. Anyway, its incredible to watch a movement work and it still amazes me the precision in the machining they were able to do on watch movements 150+ years ago.

IMG_20170320_203206.jpg

After all the practice on those watches, I serviced my Dads grandfathers (my great grandfathers) watch for my Dad and had it running like new, as well as a couple friends family heirloom watches. It takes steady hands, tiny screwdrivers, good tweezers and powerful magnifying glasses! ha

I don't know much about the European one I dug though. I just knew enough about American watches to tell it wasnt one of them. ha

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful watch and restoration Brad, love the play by play as always. Hopefully that snow melts soon

Thanks man. Most of our snow is melted, but I'm up to my ears in house projects. I added a bunch of recessed lights in the kitchen with two new switch circuits, then did a bunch of custom molding around some doors and windows and now I'm painting (the whole first floor) ha I probably wont get out until DIV next week. But when these house projects are done I'll be outdoors hunting as much as possible.

Wow very cool find congrats....:occasion14:

Thank you park pirate!

Great looking pocket watch. Congrats.

Thank you Trezurehunter!

Nice find Brad. That will look really nice displayed open like that. You treat all of your relics with great care which is very admirable

Thanks Joey! I had walked over this watch at least a dozen times in the last year, but I never get my gear on or fire my machine up until I get where I'm going... so I was pretty lucky to walk over this thing mid stride on a fast walk to my car as it was getting dark :occasion14:

Super nice find! I am thinking that you may have a Pocket Watch made by a Watch/Pocket Watch Maker Cooperative in Germany, Switzerland or possibly another country that I am unaware of. There were several Cooperatives and a very famous one in Germany (I believe) called the Glashütte Cooperative in Glashütte, Germany. There are many "Cylindre 10 Rubis" Pocket Watches produced and since there were so many different and somewhat different Movements used in them, leads me to believe that they were produced by a Watch/Pocket Watch Maker Cooperative.

Frank

Cylindre 10 Rubis | eBay

Cylindre 10 Rubis | eBay

Excellent information Frank. Thanks a ton. I've honestly been too busy with work and chores to really try to look into this one. That is great information and those ebay links are a good idea... I wonder if I could find the weakly struck hallmark by looking at similar pictures on there. I'll give that a try a bit later.

What a beauty! :thumbsup:

Thanks UnderMiner

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beauty of a watch, WTG!

Thank you Bill!

Super cool find! I've only ever found pieces. Congrats!

Thanks Chris! I have mostly pieces too and they always sound so good. I did find another complete one a couple years ago and its rolled gold. It had a threaded back and I never did get it open after trying every trick possible.

Sweet pocket watch. Congrats! [emoji106]

Thanks K1DDO1979!

That's a very cool find!

Thank you Fullstock!

Excellent finds Brad

Thanks man! That watch sure saved the hunt and finding out it wasnt just plated was really nice. After you texted my those two coppers you had just dug, I probably would have tossed those buttons out the window if it wasnt for the watch :laughing7: Hope your killer streak continues man. :occasion14:

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome silver pocket watch find! I've found 3 or 4 but they were not silver and always way to toasted to save. Some day I hope to find one as nice as yours!

Thanks pa-dirt_nc-sand! I actually couldn't believe how easy it was to open the back of this one... the hinges worked great. I dug a rolled gold Waltham a few years ago and I tried cruel and unusual things to get the back off and I never succeeded. That one had a threaded back and after soaking it in wd-40 for days, heating it, cooling it and finally super gluing a 3/8th's nut to the back and putting a socket on it, I still couldn't get the back off. :laughing7: (the superglue and nut was something I found online and leaves no mark after wiping with acetone) So I think the only chance we have at getting them open if is they are silver or gold. ha Best of luck getting one that isnt toasted one of these days.

Great cleaning job! She's a keeper! Congrats! :occasion14:

Thank you basque-man!

Great finds as always, That watch would be great restored.. Thanks for sharing!!!!

Thank you A2coins! I think the movement is pretty shot, although the plates could probably be used still. However, the silver case could absolutely be cleaned up some more, have a new crystal fitted, have a working movement dropped in, and be put back into service. :icon_thumright:

Ultimately cool find! Congrats!

Thank you SouthernDirt!

Very nice congrats

Thank you Art!

That thing is sweet! I got a silver pocket watch cover once but never the whole watch. Nice find.

Thanks Evolution! A silver cover is a great find. As I was reading your comment, I just realized this is the first piece of silver I dug this year. I typically dig coppers and relics, but I rarely dig silver... so its nice to break the ice this year with this big piece.

A complete pocket watch is a super rare find...and silver to boot! Congratulations.

Thank you Silvermonkey!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very pretty ornate piece, congrats.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Two large cents may be nice, but I have no complete silver pocket watch. All I've found is a silver watch back from the 1860's. That one you found will display nicely

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very pretty ornate piece, congrats.

Thanks man! :occasion14: You've been on a roll lately, so I hope the snow didn't delay you too much... but I guess in your hunting area it probably melted pretty quick.

Two large cents may be nice, but I have no complete silver pocket watch. All I've found is a silver watch back from the 1860's. That one you found will display nicely

Thanks man... you're right, I'd take this over a couple coppers (as long as they weren't state coppers) haha I stuck it in a case on top of a 1860's glass fruit jar lid. Looks cool sitting there opened.

IMG_20170321_072701.jpg

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn man that is a very nice hunk of silver. Congrats one a great piece for the display

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread