Silver prices 12.50 per ounce how come you cant buy at that price

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what? I dont understand the question. Are you referencing the bid price, ask price, or sale + premium?

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well sell me all your silver for 12.50 an oz...??

Hope this helps...

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My question is if silver price is going for 12.50 per ounce where can you buy it for 12.50 per ounce usually apmex and mattheys are a few dollars over spot but now that spot price is 12.50 how come sale prices are not a few dollars over spot at say 16 per ounce... like prices on ebay haven changed. Im assuming its only because this drop is temporary. Which would make me assume the silver price is still the same in the eyes of the sellers?

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, well look at like this. All the silver in their inventory was bought at a much higher price. Its easier for them to mark the cheap rounds as "sold out" than to sell for a loss. They seem to have plenty of the artsy-fartsy rounds for $25+ per ounce, but of course they have a much higher mark up in those.

If the price stays low for a long time, the inventory at the new price will come back, but for now we dont have a chance of buying at these prices unless you want the risk of buying from a gambling site like fleabay.

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even more strange is how at their "higher than usual" premiums, they can't keep up?
AND, why isn't the spot price going way up if demand is so great?
Methinks they are simply holding it back, waiting for the spot price to go back up.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like others said......they bought the silver high and don't want to sell at a loss. I was fortunate that I dumped nearly $700 face in 90% silver back in February when the spot price was $18.80 per ounce. I also dumped a load of gold coins at that time. Now I'm waiting with the cash on hand to put that money back into silver and/or gold when the price tumbles further BUT only if the sell price is figured on the new lower price rather than what they're trying to get for it now.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My question is if silver price is going for 12.50 per ounce where can you buy it for 12.50 per ounce usually apmex and mattheys are a few dollars over spot but now that spot price is 12.50 how come sale prices are not a few dollars over spot at say 16 per ounce... like prices on ebay haven changed. Im assuming its only because this drop is temporary. Which would make me assume the silver price is still the same in the eyes of the sellers?

Tommy.....when you're buying from sellers on Ebay you aren't dealing with major silver sellers that price their items according to market conditions.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just at the coin shop yesterday to make a purchase. Like Jason in Enid said, the sign was in the display case as "no silver available". Because I am a regular customer though, he did manage to scrounge me up $50.00 face value (500) silver dimes he sold me at 12x face. The going rate is 13x face. I was ok with that, and made the purchase.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Even more strange is how at their "higher than usual" premiums, they can't keep up?
AND, why isn't the spot price going way up if demand is so great?
Methinks they are simply holding it back, waiting for the spot price to go back up.
It’s because of the disconnect between coin/bar silver, and raw industrial silver. One is valued higher than the other. The spot price is also based on paper contracts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread