Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,

I've been doing lots of nickel hunting and I thought I would show you a few things and get a second opinion on a coin I found today.
So since my last post, I've found two more war nickels- one (1943-p) very high mintage and the other (1944-d) much lower mintage. I also found my first proof coin, a 1968-s nickel that appears to be in excellent condition.

IMG_1073.JPG IMG_1074.JPG

Now just today, I found one of the shiniest looking coins I've ever come across. It is a 1964 nickel and I have it pictured below next to the 1968-s proof for comparison. I was just wondering, did they all look like this at one time or another, or is this coin special for some reason?

IMG_1071.JPG IMG_1072.JPG

Here's one more picture. Let me know what you think!

IMG_1069.JPG

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it. I've found them before but not in that condition!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just sold a '64 no MM this week for $4.25. had full details, no flaws, full steps and full mint luster. with nickels CONDITION IS EVERYTHING. the nic boxes I am doing are from 2010 and they are yielding between 10 to 20 BU MS coins plus the usual other keepers. HH & wash your hands

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just sold a '64 no MM this week for $4.25. had full details, no flaws, full steps and full mint luster. with nickels CONDITION IS EVERYTHING. the nic boxes I am doing are from 2010 and they are yielding between 10 to 20 BU MS coins plus the usual other keepers. HH & wash your hands

That's awesome! If I had that many nickels, they wouldn't be laying around for long haha, I usually open everything I can get my hands on. So what do you think this one is worth? Also, how would you grade it based on the pictures?

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the key is full sharp steps, sharp triangle base, clean field with only a few hairline blemishes, no deep scrapes with brilliant luster. MS60 or better. the pic could be better, I only shoot pics in outdoor light with no sun glare. 4 bucks for a '64 makes me happy:--)
That's awesome! If I had that many nickels, they wouldn't be laying around for long haha, I usually open everything I can get my hands on. So what do you think this one is worth? Also, how would you grade it based on the pictures?

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely can't complain about $4, that's an 8000% return! Thanks for the info and happy hunting!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread