Silver Proof?...... SILVER PROOF!!!!!!

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Yep, that's pretty much what we said when we found this one. We couldn't believe it. What is this doing out there and in such great condition? Somebody must have turned in some pretty good stuff and we happend to snag it. We (me and my dad) have been doing pretty good lately with the halves. Here is the rest of what we found in two ($1000) boxes worth. Pretty good for us.

Attachments

• IMG_0847.jpg
    IMG_0847.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_0848.jpg
    IMG_0848.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG_0850.jpg
    IMG_0850.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_0851.jpg
    IMG_0851.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_0852.jpg
    IMG_0852.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_0853.jpg
    IMG_0853.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 456
Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Not a proof from the way it looks in the picture. They also made S coins that were mint strikes in 1976 that are silver (40 percent) but were not proofs. They had S proofs as well that were 40 percent that year. I have found both kinds and from the picture yours does not look like the proof one.

Still a great find though.

Jim

OP
OP
Texasgopher

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
jim4silver said:
Not a proof from the way it looks in the picture. They also made S coins that were mint strikes in 1976 that are silver (40 percent) but were not proofs. They had S proofs as well that were 40 percent that year. I have found both kinds and from the picture yours does not look like the proof one.

Jim
Huh....I'll have to check my red book. Shoulda done that first i guess. I saw the "S" and assumed proof. Are they %90 silver though? Cause this one has a pure silver edge, not even a hint of copper or that weird grey color some have. I will check my book. Thanks for the correction if I'm wrong. I honestly didn't mean to mislead any body.

TG

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1997 does look like a proof but not the Bicentenial.

On the Bicentenial the fields look the same than the devices (not a proof)

DW

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Texasgopher said:
jim4silver said:

Jim
Huh....I'll have to check my red book. Shoulda done that first i guess. I saw the "S" and assumed proof. Are they %90 silver though? Cause this one has a pure silver edge, not even a hint of copper or that weird grey color some have. I will check my book. Thanks for the correction if I'm wrong. I honestly didn't mean to mislead any body.

TG

TG,

Didn't think you were trying to mislead anybody. I just wanted to give you accurate info. Also, they were only 40%. 90% proofs did not start coming out until 1992. Sometimes 40% halves (such as the 65-70 years) will have rims that appear bright silver and seem to be 90% but that is just the way they "toned" over time.

1976 was a crazy year for Kennedy halfs. There are S Proof coins that are not silver, S Proof coins that are 40% silver, and S mintage coins (regular strike) that are 40% silver.

I believe the Mint came out with some different sets of coins they sold to commemorate the bicentennial year.

Jim

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is hard sometines to see if a coin is a proof. With the old ones it is hard some times.

dw

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Darth Walker said:
It is hard sometines to see if a coin is a proof. With the old ones it is hard some times.

dw

Yeah I have seen some from the early 70s that were not in great shape and it was hard to tell at first.

I would say that TG's coin is definitely a mint strike and looks to be in AU/BU condition--someone probably cracked it out of the mint set before they dumped it. When you look at it next to the proof in the photo it seems pretty clear it is not a proof.

For sure I would keep that for the collection since it is in such great shape.

Jim

OP
OP
Texasgopher

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
jim4silver said:
Texasgopher said:
jim4silver said:

Jim

TG

TG,

Didn't think you were trying to mislead anybody. I just wanted to give you accurate info. Also, they were only 40%. 90% proofs did not start coming out until 1992. Sometimes 40% halves (such as the 65-70 years) will have rims that appear bright silver and seem to be 90% but that is just the way they "toned" over time.

1976 was a crazy year for Kennedy halfs. There are S Proof coins that are not silver, S Proof coins that are 40% silver, and S mintage coins (regular strike) that are 40% silver.

I believe the Mint came out with some different sets of coins they sold to commemorate the bicentennial year.

Jim

I appreciate the info very much! I didn't know there was that many varietys for the 1976. When I saw the "S" I assumed proof. Then I got so excited :love10: that I didn't even realize that #1 it does not have the "frosted"/"mirror" look to it and #2 that i should have checked my book :read2:. I would just hate for people to think I was trying to make a bigger deal of it then it was on purpose. Any time I can learn something new is time well spent to me though. Thanks Jim! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread