Silver quarter drought over and its a WHOPPER!

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver quarter drought over and it's a WHOPPER!

So I've been detecting seriously hard for the past 6 months. Every night after work and every day before work if I get time.

I hit beaches, parks and tot lots. I've got 11 silver dimes, 2 silver nickles, 3 silver bracelets, 3 silver rings, 1 gold ring and today I got my FIRST silver quarter.

I hit a large tot lot that they are rebuilding. The lot was dug down 2' so I figured I may get something old.

I didn't get CRAP!

I found the pile of sand that they took out of the lot and started to detect it. This pile was 20' high and about 40' wide.

I found 3 pennies a fake gold ring and THIS BEAUTIFUL 1854 seated quarter :headbang:

Not bad for my first silver quarter lol.

Anyone have an idea of a grade for this?

The detail is perfect. The only thing wrong with it is a small scratch on the obverse that you can barely see. The scan makes the scratch look worse that it really does.

Attachments

• 1854seatedquarter.jpg
    1854seatedquarter.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,700
  • 1854seatedquarter2.jpg
    1854seatedquarter2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,265
Upvote 0

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Silver quarter drought over and it's a WHOPPER!

You found that quarter in the sand from a tot lot?? Do you think someone got into Daddy's coin collection?

I'm still looking for my first seated quarter. Sometimes things turn up where you least expect them.

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800

I suggest follow that sand pile and now go for the Seated Half Dimes=Congradulation-goldnugget-Charlotte,N.C.

OP
OP
SeaninNH

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Steve in PA said:
You found that quarter in the sand from a tot lot?? Do you think someone got into Daddy's coin collection?

I'm still looking for my first seated quarter. Sometimes things turn up where you least expect them.

Well... They took the lot down 2' so who knows. The park is really old and 2' is a lot of earth to remove. You never know what will turn up if you pull out that much land.

That thought did cross my mind that someone got into Dad's collection. I'm going to go back next week and hit the pile again. Maybe I can find the half or dime.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

SeaninNH said:
Steve in PA said:

Well... They took the lot down 2' so who knows. The park is really old and 2' is a lot of earth to remove. You never know what will turn up if you pull out that much land.

That thought did cross my mind that someone got into Dad's collection. I'm going to go back next week and hit the pile again. Maybe I can find the half or dime.

I doubt it came from a collection. Keep in mind that before there was a tot lot, something else was on the site. I found an 180? Half Cent on a football field.

RPSwede

Apr 20, 2011
Sparks NV
Detector(s) used
MXT pro , AT pro

Wow!! very very nice find Congratz! :icon_thumright:

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax

nice silver!!! If you can get 300 buxs for that coin,take the money and run :thumbsup:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice silver .....congrats! :thumbsup:
H

TN_MD

Jan 6, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Radio Shack 2v6 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD , And a Homebuilt M.D.

Congrats on the Silver quarter :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread