SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver is at $33.92 as I type this. I wouldn't sell right now. I'm going to hold mine for another week or so. I have a good feeling about this week.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
phrostie said:
Called and got quotes today for the place I sell my silver to. Was surprised to hear that 90%s are going for $22.84 per DALLAR and 40%s are $9.07 per DALLAR.

Funny thinking I sold incrementally at highs of $5.75 / DALLAR and $7.55 per DALLAR.

Looks like it's about time to sell again. When I called silver was AOA $33.69 / oz.

Can anyone sell where u sell? If so let loose the info

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I'm not selling any until $50/oz. Everyone here got theirs at the lowest value possible (face value).. why sell? unless you need the money really badly.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am hopeing for $6 each for my 40%'ers...Matt

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SFBayArea said:
I'm not selling any until $50/oz. Everyone here got theirs at the lowest value possible (face value).. why sell? unless you need the money really badly.

I'm with you..I might not even sell ALL out it then :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
phrostie

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
Let me be the first to say that holding out to $50 an ounce is ridiculous.

If you continue to do this you will find more by the time you reach 50 an oz. And if it goes back to 20 you'll be happy you sold and can rebuy.

I agree silver is on the uptrend, but I'd like to caution investors out there that incremental selling will guarantee that you make money. The hoards each of you sit on is only as good as how much someone will pay for it.

~phrostie

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
phrostie said:

If you continue to do this you will find more by the time you reach 50 an oz. And if it goes back to 20 you'll be happy you sold and can rebuy.

I agree silver is on the uptrend, but I'd like to caution investors out there that incremental selling will guarantee that you make money. The hoards each of you sit on is only as good as how much someone will pay for it.

~phrostie

It just comes down to fundamentals of demand and supply. Econ 101. When a billion people in China and India start buying precious metals.. no one can stop the price from going up. Only if some catastrophic disaster happens could stop it. Not even JP Morgan or Goldmann Sachs can manipulate the prices lower. Everyone knows that physical silver is much better than stuff written on paper.

The world has changed since 1981 when silver reached $50/oz. Back then, world players like China and India were not involved in metal prices. Now they are .. the demand here in the states don't have the effect on the market as they used to. Just because people in the U.S. might not now want precious metals or your stock broker tells you not to get them, doesn't mean people on the other side of the world aren't buying them. I don't see silver going back down to $20/oz unless something really bad happens like a giant asteroid destroying much of the earth or a nuclear war.

At $50/oz. I don't think people would be trading their 40%ers for 90%ers.

People can all claim that they think the price will go down but based on what set of facts? I haven't seen any info in support of prices going down. I only see articles in support of prices going up. Articles about central governments buying precious metals and people in China and India buying too. How do you stop that JP Morgan?

Fill up on gas today.. gas is going up too in the next few days.

OP
OP
phrostie

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
SFbay,

I'm not on one side of the fence or the other; i'm on the fence and riding the uptrend as it continues. It's like with anything else, what you hold is only as good as what someone will pay for it. I don't foresee it going to $20 either; but to make a buck you have to sell.

You got all these folks jumping on and saying I'm going to wait until $50. I'm sure there are folks that have been doing this well longer than I have and too me these prices are higher than I would have even liked to sell at / even dreamed. I started when silver was 11 an oz in the fall of 2008, and now it's 33. I remember picking 20 at the time as my sell point. I've sold at 23 an oz and 27 an oz and don't regret it at all.

When I was a kid I used to collect baseball cards and used to look up the prices in beckett's. I was always like this card is this much, this card is that much, and never sold any. Now they are worthless other than the few rookie cards I have scattered across a decade.

I guess I urge all on here to sell at some point, now, or at $50, or at $75. Because if ya don't I'll be the first to say... TOLD YA SO, when it comes back down to earth. All good things come to end sometime...right?

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
To figure out the X face value of a coin, just multiply .723 times the going silver price, then the answer times the coin's value......or if you're at a puter, push a few buttons.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
phrostie said:
SFbay,

I'm not on one side of the fence or the other; i'm on the fence and riding the uptrend as it continues. It's like with anything else, what you hold is only as good as what someone will pay for it. I don't foresee it going to $20 either; but to make a buck you have to sell.

You got all these folks jumping on and saying I'm going to wait until $50. I'm sure there are folks that have been doing this well longer than I have and too me these prices are higher than I would have even liked to sell at / even dreamed. I started when silver was 11 an oz in the fall of 2008, and now it's 33. I remember picking 20 at the time as my sell point. I've sold at 23 an oz and 27 an oz and don't regret it at all.

When I was a kid I used to collect baseball cards and used to look up the prices in beckett's. I was always like this card is this much, this card is that much, and never sold any. Now they are worthless other than the few rookie cards I have scattered across a decade.

I guess I urge all on here to sell at some point, now, or at $50, or at $75. Because if ya don't I'll be the first to say... TOLD YA SO, when it comes back down to earth. All good things come to end sometime...right?

Well, depends on at what price do you think "comes back down to earth" means. I don't think it'll ever be $10/oz. again. Well, we've all gotten them at the lowest price possible which is hell of a deal. No one can complain there. It's like getting shares of stock at the lowest price with no one loss possible. I would watch the charts and follow the news. I noticed a lot of trends follow chart trends. If you see on the news that there is a over supply glut of silver around, then by all means sell. Basic supply and demand news should dictate when the best time to sell is.

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
phrostie said:
SFbay,

Wow, tell me about it! If I would have spent the money on PM's instead of paper cards I would be rich!!! O'well at least I caught on at some point in my life :laughing7:

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
phrostie said:

~phrostie

I agree completely. However, most of us (I'm assuming) do not have a huge stash. If I was sitting on tens of thousands of dollars worth of silver, I would definitely liquidate some of it now and take some profit. Since I don't, I'm gonna gamble with my meager little hoard and hold tight...for now anyway. :wink:

xasp61

Apr 27, 2010
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
V3, XLT, F75, MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In twenty years the dollar has lost 40% of it's value and i would trade my silver for that.
No Way. Silver will always be silver and a dollar will always be a treasury note based on the value of what...

Moneypenny

Dec 30, 2010
Florida
SFBayArea said:

I don't know enough to have an opinion on where silver is headed (nor do I own enough for it to really matter), but I do know this: what price you bought it at shouldn't in any way affect your decision to sell or not.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
xasp61 said:
In twenty years the dollar has lost 40% of it's value and i would trade my silver for that.
No Way. Silver will always be silver and a dollar will always be a treasury note based on the value of what...
That's right. The emotional impact would be too much for me. By the time I sell my small stash, the paper dollars will be delivered to me in a dump truck. Silver is real money.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
silvereagle78 said:
phrostie said:
SFbay,

Wow, tell me about it! If I would have spent the money on PM's instead of paper cards I would be rich!!! O'well at least I caught on at some point in my life :laughing7:

I've also collected baseball cards when I was a kid.. I also collected stamps, rocks, and comic books. I realize that coins were the only items that kept their value over time compared to the others. I realize that coins have limited mintages which are known to everyone. Some get melted and destroyed. Coins made of silver have been around for a long time. When I watched "Storage Wars", one guy found about $6,000 worth of a coin collection in a locker, he kept it instead of selling it. He's found sports cards collections before and he sells them. He kept the silver. He said "that's as close to finding treasure as you can get". PM's will always hold value compared to paper money. I think that Darryl on "Storage Wars" says it all and so I'm not selling until the demand is gone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread