Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I went back to the new school permission and gridded a new section of the upper playground near the tot lot that is supposed to be the site of the original w room school. I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and managed to find 23 coins with a face value of $0.78, 2 old dog tax tags, 2 brass whatzits, a SUPER STUDENT AWARD token, a squashed penny with the Ten Commandments, 2 pieces of an old buckle, a garter clip, half of a drawer pull, a bunch of tabs, bottle caps, foil, can slaw and half of a cast iron car.

DSCN2968.jpeg

The 2 dog tax tags are from BEDFORD COUNTY, PA about 10 miles away from where I found them in Allegany County, MD. They are from 1927 and 1928. They were about 30 feet apart and the 1927 still has the rivets that held it on the dog collar and has part of the leather still attached as well. Most of the dog tags I have found have 1 hole and hang by a ring on the collar. Both of these were riveted onto the collar. I do like the dog tax tags.

DSCN2969.jpeg

Probably the most interesting find was the half of a cast iron car. It was molded in 2 pieces and fastened together. It is really crusty and rusty and probably isn’t worth cleaning up. The car looks like a late 20s or early 30s model. It was close to the surface and gave me a bell tone (overload) for a big item close to the surface. I was sure it was ferrous, but I dig those anyway in case the big item is hiding a smaller better item. At the scout camp I frequently find coins in a spot I have just removed tent pegs from. (Camp tent pegs also produce a bell tone/overload signal)

DSCN2970.jpeg

DAY 2
I am cleaning up the few areas left at the bullet school and so I’m not finding as much, but always hoping for another goodie. Today I found one. Not as special as I would have liked, but silver is always nice. It is a small thin band with half the yin/yang sign on it. It is black because it was in an area that stays wet most of the time and has tarnished very heavily. I have found silver dimes that have been in the lake for years and come out the same dark charcoal/black color.

DSCN2971.jpeg

In the 5 hours I was swingin the CZ21 I found 27 coins with a face value of $1.46 (nickel heavy and penny light), 2 rings, an Ace bandage clip, a small strap buckle, lots of tabs, some slaw, foil and fence wire. Also the ever present pencil ends that the schools all have in large quantities. So another ok hunt and that was my last hunt for 2023, but not the last hunt for my year which goes from May 1 to April 30.

DSCN2972.jpeg

The weather has not been good for getting to the scout camp. Hopefully I will make it next week. I did find a dime and a quarter on the floor of the mall and several pennies on the floor at the market.

Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things. HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone, may it be your best year ever.

Upvote 11

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I went back to the new school permission and gridded a new section of the upper playground near the tot lot that is supposed to be the site of the original w room school. I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and managed to find 23 coins with a face value of $0.78, 2 old dog tax tags, 2 brass whatzits, a SUPER STUDENT AWARD token, a squashed penny with the Ten Commandments, 2 pieces of an old buckle, a garter clip, half of a drawer pull, a bunch of tabs, bottle caps, foil, can slaw and half of a cast iron car.

View attachment 2123659

The 2 dog tax tags are from BEDFORD COUNTY, PA about 10 miles away from where I found them in Allegany County, MD. They are from 1927 and 1928. They were about 30 feet apart and the 1927 still has the rivets that held it on the dog collar and has part of the leather still attached as well. Most of the dog tags I have found have 1 hole and hang by a ring on the collar. Both of these were riveted onto the collar. I do like the dog tax tags.

View attachment 2123660

Probably the most interesting find was the half of a cast iron car. It was molded in 2 pieces and fastened together. It is really crusty and rusty and probably isn’t worth cleaning up. The car looks like a late 20s or early 30s model. It was close to the surface and gave me a bell tone (overload) for a big item close to the surface. I was sure it was ferrous, but I dig those anyway in case the big item is hiding a smaller better item. At the scout camp I frequently find coins in a spot I have just removed tent pegs from. (Camp tent pegs also produce a bell tone/overload signal)

View attachment 2123658

DAY 2
I am cleaning up the few areas left at the bullet school and so I’m not finding as much, but always hoping for another goodie. Today I found one. Not as special as I would have liked, but silver is always nice. It is a small thin band with half the yin/yang sign on it. It is black because it was in an area that stays wet most of the time and has tarnished very heavily. I have found silver dimes that have been in the lake for years and come out the same dark charcoal/black color.

View attachment 2123662

In the 5 hours I was swingin the CZ21 I found 27 coins with a face value of $1.46 (nickel heavy and penny light), 2 rings, an Ace bandage clip, a small strap buckle, lots of tabs, some slaw, foil and fence wire. Also the ever present pencil ends that the schools all have in large quantities. So another ok hunt and that was my last hunt for 2023, but not the last hunt for my year which goes from May 1 to April 30.

View attachment 2123661

The weather has not been good for getting to the scout camp. Hopefully I will make it next week. I did find a dime and a quarter on the floor of the mall and several pennies on the floor at the market.

Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things. HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone, may it be your best year ever.
I love finding dog tags. You found a great variety there.
Congrats,
MM

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat stuff, love the old dog tags! I would def toss the car into the electrolysis tank and see what you end up with. Could be a really cool looking piece hiding in there.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat stuff, love the old dog tags! I would def toss the car into the electrolysis tank and see what you end up with. Could be a really cool looking piece hiding in there.
I really like the dog tags as well. Maybe I will give the car a clean up and see what is hiding. You may be right. Thanks, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1

View attachment 2123659

View attachment 2123660

View attachment 2123658

DAY 2

View attachment 2123662

View attachment 2123661

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread