Dec 17, 2013
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
White's Spectrum xlt
Bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my first post. I have been reading for months and decided this is a good place to get help. Everyone seems very knowledgeable and I feel like an idiot at times. Anyway, I dug a silver ring with a $1 US gold coin mounted on it. The ring has "Pure" stamped on the inside. There are some marks on the edges that are decorative I think. I would like help in finding maker and time period. This was found in a town noted for a Civil War battle. I have found some artifacts from the war close to where I dug the ring. Any help would be appreciated. Hopefully the pictures are clear.

IMG_1052[1].JPG

Upvote 19

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jackpot! Congratulations!!!!:notworthy:

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Great find on the ring! Let's see more and closer photos of the ring from all angles.

Also, let's see photos of the artifacts that you found close to where the ring was

OP
OP
bentdiggin

bentdiggin

Dec 17, 2013
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
White's Spectrum xlt
Bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1103[1].JPG IMG_1095[1].JPG I am very new to this but I am attempting to add some photos with different angles and some finds that are all within 20 yds. of the ring.

Attachments

• IMG_1102[1].JPG
    IMG_1102[1].JPG
    506.7 KB · Views: 682
  • IMG_1098[1].JPG
    IMG_1098[1].JPG
    397.1 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_1091[1].JPG
    IMG_1091[1].JPG
    932 KB · Views: 732
  • IMG_1093[1].JPG
    IMG_1093[1].JPG
    816.9 KB · Views: 495

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Great stuff bentdiggin ... I also love that padlock along with the ring. What are those coins with the hole in them next to the quarter? Does it say Spain on that one? What does the other side say? Do they have a date?

Last edited:

Lcb24kt

Jan 31, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75, Blisstool, Whites TDI, Whites MXT all pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations!!!!

OP
OP
bentdiggin

bentdiggin

Dec 17, 2013
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
White's Spectrum xlt
Bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for looking and comments. I do not know what is said on the large coin. I do know it is Spainish coin. The smaller coin I cannot make out much more than the date. Both are 1780s, I love the lock myself. The center is brass and on the back is a brass button. So only one like it on the net. I would like to know if anyone has an idea about the silver ring. What time period it may be from would help a lot in finding original owner.

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for looking and comments. I do not know what is said on the large coin. I do know it is Spainish coin. The smaller coin I cannot make out much more than the date. Both are 1780s, I love the lock myself. The center is brass and on the back is a brass button. So only one like it on the net. I would like to know if anyone has an idea about the silver ring. What time period it may be from would help a lot in finding original owner.

Does the gold coin in the ring have a date you can see? That could be a banner, pure silver ring with a gold coin in it.

It doesn't get any better then that! Get better close-up pictures of the gold coin. Absolutely great find!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
bentdiggin

bentdiggin

Dec 17, 2013
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
White's Spectrum xlt
Bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The date is on the side mounted to the ring. The US $1 gold coin was minted in 1840s til 1851 I believe. I have to take it off the ring to see the actual date. It is pretty cool in the old silver.

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love to know what the date is on the reverse of that Liberty Head. Minted between 1849 and 1854 some dates are very rare and valuable...
You might even consider taking the ring to a pro jeweler and see if the coin can be removed to check the date...:)

Great Find

Last edited:

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bentdiggin! Please take close-up clear pictures of both sides of everything you have there. You have some spectacular stuff there

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm not so sure the 'coin' in the ring is a real coin. Might be added as a design motif, possibly plated. The way to find out would be to take it to a coin dealer. Call around in advance and find a dealer in your area familiar with fractional gold. They would be able to compare the motif with period coins and verify whether it's genuine. One giveaway is the solid shank inside the ring. I'm thinking if the coin were real you'd be able to see the back through a hole in the silver.

The larger holed coin is a 2 reales. Judging by its size, the smaller coin is probably a 1/2 reale.

:tchest:
All your finds are finds to be proud of! Way to go!:occasion14:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that ring looks pretty dang old and pretty dang cool

OP
OP
bentdiggin

bentdiggin

Dec 17, 2013
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
White's Spectrum xlt
Bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did have the coin verified. It is the real McCoy. I think the ring may be hand made as well. The coin is held in place by some type of heavy solder or paste. Jeweler never seen anything like it. He said the same thing though. Thought it wasn't real then came back and said it's real and I think old. LOL.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread