Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Found this down about 6" deep at my favorite beach. It came out encrusted with green crud and I had expectations of another junk ring.

I gave it a shot in my vinegar/aluminum bath (with a touch of salt). Well, it stank like Silver and cleaned up as being Silver. I suspect it's an oldtimer as this part of the beach has had sand removed and renewed with the berm construction. I have picked up 30's Mercs and lots of old wheaties.

Two strange things about this ring: First, it's marked on the outside and second, it's marked "SILVER 06" ... odd for sure.

I'm hoping we have someone on here who has seen this before or knows what it means. I do have an opinion but will keep it to myself for a little while.

HH Joe

Attachments

• Ring 30May sm.jpg
    Ring 30May sm.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 625
  • Ring 30May Marking sm.jpg
    Ring 30May Marking sm.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 626
Upvote 0

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Joe, congrats on the ring. :icon_thumright: Maybe the .06 refers to the karat weight of the stone. I've found references to other silver rings with .06 karat weight diamonds...... Jim

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Congrats on the ring. I am wondering (I don't know) if it might be one of those rings they call a seal ring where they press it in warm wax and it leaves an imprint. ?????

3 qtr

Greenie
Oct 24, 2009
Iowa, Yes Ray, "It is Heaven."
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 7A, Garrett Infinium L/S, Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
I think the 06 refers to the artist who created the ring. Taxco, Mexico is widely known for the Silversmiths and they all have a registration number that is added to every piece. If you look up the number you can find out who created the ring in some cases. You should also be able to find out the year it was made. Hope this helps as I found a Silver and Turquoise Bracelet this year with "Mexico Silver TC-174. I was able to get alot of info on the web by putting the info in Google search. Good Luck

OP
OP
DrJoePrime

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi EEThr,

I agree it might look like copper peeking under silver plating but the copper color is actually on the silver surface. I think it's the way I cleaned it. The copper from the silver alloy (900 silver has 10% other, usually copper) is dissolved and then redeposited onto the silver surface is my theory. I should be able to polish this coppery surface off.

HH Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread