silver Roman coin help

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
ebinger ebex pi, nokta fors core.CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image.jpeg image.jpeg Hi I was out metal detecting a couple of days ago and found this small silver Roman coin my friend found one aswell they were both next to each other,we did manage to ID his it was a julius Caesar, but I cannot find this one anywhere I've looked threw books and online to no avail. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Nice find! Someone with more expertise (i.e. perhaps Crusader and his Dad) will be able to narrow this down and identify but I found this one which looks close and may be going in the right direction-

Roman Imperial Coinage - RIC I, Rome mints

Vitellius. AD 69. AR Denarius. Spanish mint (Tarraco?). Struck circa January-June, AD 69. A VITELLIVS IMP GERMAN, Laureate head left; globe at point of bust / VICTORIA AVGVSTI, Victory advancing left, holding shield inscribed S P/Q R. RIC I 36 var. (palm on obverse); RSC 101 var. (same); BMCRE 94-6 var. (same); cf. Cohen 95 and 98. (Image courtesy CNG)

Attachments

• vitellius.jpg
    vitellius.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 272
Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow,It certainly looks the same and very much like it,Thanks for your time and help. It's much appreciated
Nice find! Someone with more expertise (i.e. perhaps Crusader and his Dad) will be able to narrow this down and identify but I found this one which looks close and may be going in the right direction-

Upvote 0

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Winner winner chicken dinner-looks like an exact match

It does ive been looking everywhere trying to find it. is this a rare coin because i was reading there wasn't many roman coins with the portrait facing left they were funny about left things. like portraits facing that way and even walking in a building with your left foot first was a no go!

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes great ID as usual.

All I can add is its an unusual UK find. We have yet to find this Emperor & it's pretty unusual to get any Spanish Mint. I think we have only 1 from Spain.
CONGRATS

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't believe it what a find A big THANK YOU CRUSADR and BRAMBLEFIND i never would have found it on my own. Its very much appreciated ����

Upvote 0

Chessmen Trip

Feb 6, 2017
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe it what a find A big THANK YOU CRUSADR and BRAMBLEFIND i never would have found it on my own. Its very much appreciated ����

I'll bet it felt good to share that ID with your buddy who found the other. :P

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread