SILVER SCORE

coinfinder

Aug 15, 2008
I stopped at BOA to cash my Costco rebate check. While there I asked the teller if she had any half dollars. She replied, "I have $90 worth, how many do you want?" Suspecting a dump I asked who brought them in. She said "a man". Pressing a little further I found out he was an older gentleman who had "turned in his half dollar collection." Thinking it was too good to be true, I took all $90 worth.

The teller complained about have so many half dollars and wanted to make sure I didn't bring them back. As she was taking them out her vault, she dropped a roll. The "clang" of silver hitting silver was unmistakable. She thanked me several times as I walked out of the bank. Little did I know how thankful I would be.

I opened the first roll in the car and found an entire roll of Franklin's. Silver coin after silver coin appeared after that. The following are my counts:

10 Walking Liberty (oldest 1929)
45 Franklin's (oldest 1949)
23 1964 Kennedy's (all blast white)
68 Silver clad Kennedy's (ABU mostly)

and two 2005 P Kennedy's. The rest of the halves were common dates, but in great condition. Not too bad for someones dump I suppose!

Upvote 0

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Ummm... .where do you live??? LOL Just kidding but really... No that is a great score bud with all that old silver. Awesome.

Golden Silver

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Times are getting tough and things are getting better for us.

Yes Stay tuned folks you are going start seeing some unbelievable scores

harpeter

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2009
Today was my first day. I only looked at the dates up to 1970. What's with the 2005 P Kennedy's. Are they worth something?

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
harpeter said:
Today was my first day. I only looked at the dates up to 1970. What's with the 2005 P Kennedy's. Are they worth something?

All 2002+ years were made for collector sets only They were not released into general circulation. I save all I find

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Cherryman68 said:
harpeter said:

All 2002+ years were made for collector sets only They were not released into general circulation. I save all I find

Not exactly, they are NIFC Meaning, Not Intended For Circulation You Can Buy Rolls But at A premium but They are not exactly only found in "collector sets" like a proof set.

Mojo

Ju8vP3t

Fantastic Find......that's $500 worth of Ag at todays closing......at a total cost of $90 :thumbsup:, I hate to even mention my find today, I stopped by a bank yesterday,asked about halves,nope, no halves, but the teller thought they had a few hundred $$$$'s worth in the vault, but the vault girl had left for the day, went back today, asked the vault girl, she pulled out $5 worth....lol, that's all they had, and too, she said I save these for a coach, who gives 'em to his players, anyway she sold me the $5, left with 'em, looking at them in the car, got 1 '64, hooray!!! :icon_sunny:, at least I didn't come away empty

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
coinmojo said:
Cherryman68 said:
harpeter said:

Not exactly, they are NIFC Meaning, Not Intended For Circulation You Can Buy Rolls But at A premium but They are not exactly only found in "collector sets" like a proof set.

Mojo

Yeah what he said!

Thanks for clearing that up MOJO. BTW whats the value of those Circulated?

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Cherryman68 said:
Thanks for clearing that up MOJO. BTW whats the value of those Circulated?

Not much really. Some say they were able to sell them to coin dealers for a couple of penny's more than face or on eBay. But the reality is that they are low volume mintage and would be considered rare in about 50 to 100 years from now..... Care to wait?

Personally I have plucked and cherrypicked a roll of ea. year and mint mark as I am a Die hard collector so I do that as a minimum. but toss the rest back.

I have actually hit boxes with hundreds of them in it. Someone lost some money on those premiums..... I could not afford to hold onto all the ones I find.

I am actually dumping proof's that I find that are not in exceptional shape. I have hundreds of them at this point. I have every year and just recently put together an entire set of the copper nickle proofs for a friend of mine who paid me $1 a piece for them.

There comes a point, when searching the volume that some of us do, that we cant keep everything that we find.

Do this long enough, and hit it hard enough, you will see exactly what I mean.

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread