Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's nice. Handmade, officers for sure.

OP
OP
RelicMedic

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think it is Loyalist era (1790ish). Pulled a handful of 1700's and early 1800's coins from that site too)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you get any early military buttons? A true Loyalist site seems to almost always give up a Rev War military button, and usually more than one.

To answer your question it's definitely a nice early silver shoe buckle and would date to the right era. I found pieces of one several years ago that would have been stunning, makers marks and all, just too bad it was destroyed. Ironically, the bits I found was from the site of a Loyalist officer, but not just any one, this particular site gave up a button that was the first of the type known to exist. It wasn't my find, unless getting it in my email inbox for ID counts!

OP
OP
RelicMedic

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks IronPatch. I got several flat buttons from that site, but I have not wandered out of a 20'x40' grid yet. There might be some kickin around there. I found a land grant map and a United Empire Loyalist from Boston was granted that parcel of land. Can't wait to try the other 3.75 acres! C'mon spring!!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ACE that's a beautiful piece and it looks great shined up. Sounds like a great site you have there. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Those sites don't pop up very often

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks IronPatch. I got several flat buttons from that site, but I have not wandered out of a 20'x40' grid yet. There might be some kickin around there. I found a land grant map and a United Empire Loyalist from Boston was granted that parcel of land. Can't wait to try the other 3.75 acres! C'mon spring!!

Sounds like it could work out. I have hunted many Loyalist sites, several that were absolutely fantastic and there is no better detecting here than those places. As times goes on they are harder to find, but I know there's still plenty of real sweet ones left.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some motivation for you... a few Loyalist in this pic from a few years back. (Royal Provincials, 2nd American, 3rd American, and King's American (4th American).

Attachments

• revb.jpg
    revb.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
RelicMedic

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lot belonged to an Officer of the Commisionary Generals Department. He was actually from New Jersey. There is a fair amount of literature on him. We was also an officer in the 42nd regiment, as was his son. The fields surrounding my house belonged to a friend and fellow officer of the Loyalist that owns the land where I got the buckle. I pulled a 1753 half penny from that site before the freeze. There has to be some military buttons in there somewhere.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lot belonged to an Officer of the Commisionary Generals Department. He was actually from New Jersey. There is a fair amount of literature on him. We was also an officer in the 42nd regiment, as was his son. The fields surrounding my house belonged to a friend and fellow officer of the Loyalist that owns the land where I got the buckle. I pulled a 1753 half penny from that site before the freeze. There has to be some military buttons in there somewhere.

A 42nd officer button would be a rare one, and have never seen one before, and I've seen a lot of buttons. I've dug 3 or 4 enlisted soldier pewters, and there's one of them in my pic above. The Black Watch is a pretty sought after regiment so an officer button, or much better yet a belt plate, would definitely turn some heads.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread