Silver Soldiers Dog Tag with provenance, Button spill, and more...

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver Soldier's Dog Tag with provenance, Button spill, and more...

I managed to get out to the park this morning for a couple of hours. I wasn't planning on hunting, but I was in the area. I hopped out and hit the ground running. I detected a section I hadn't hit before, close to the street... and dug everything. I won't bore you with my pennies, or the bent spoon.

Refresh to resize my pics...

Here's the good stuff.

Sterling Soldier's Dog Tag (Lt. Col. CHL Sharman... What a life he lived! -- Provenance here: Col CHL Sharman CMG, CBE, ISO (1881-1970))

95007413-5d11-497e-b964-f82fad2dba83_zpsba6da589.jpg

Old "Canada Post Office" buttons and solo military button spill

"88" Shamrock Token

Little gilted buckle and button

Chinese coin

Gold Plated Ring

Happy hunting!

Last edited:
Upvote 33

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FANTASTIC dog tag find, and the buttons and other items are awesome. :thumbsup: Way to go on a well-deserved BANNER find. KUDOS on trying to return it to a 'deserving' family member. ( By that, I mean we don't want to see it on eBay being sold by one of the family members.) Congratulations! :) Breezie

Congrat's on the Banner! And, great point Breezie. I have thought about this many times after reading posts that mention returning something to the family. I am in complete agreement on returning something that would be cherished and past down to other family members. But what keeps bothering me is that there is no way that l know to insure that will happen. I personally know of an elderly family member who died and left the contents of their home to a nephew by marriage. The elderly person had quite a collection of coins (some gold), jewelry, antiques and other personal items. Long story short... The nephew sold it all.
Anyway l guess my point is " how do you know a deserving family member" , someone who deserves to inherit what you have found and keep it in its proper place?

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have thought about this many times after reading posts that mention returning something to the family. I am in complete agreement on returning something that would be cherished and past down to other family members. But what keeps bothering me is that there is no way that l know to insure that will happen. I personally know of an elderly family member who died and left the contents of their home to a nephew by marriage. The elderly person had quite a collection of coins (some gold), jewelry, antiques and other personal items. Long story short... The nephew sold it all.
Anyway l guess my point is " how do you know a deserving family member" , someone who deserves to inherit what you have found and keep it in its proper place?

I don't want to pollute this fine thread with the same old hypothetical debate (we went through this debate with the Civil War ring didn't we?) so I will only post on this sub-topic this one time. Despite the fact that many might know of or have heard of someone that sold something they inherited--it's fairly self-evident in speaking with someone and/or seeing them face-to-face whether they will cherish something or will not. In the case of receiving a one-of-a-kind personal item back from a stranger who has gone through the trouble of re-uniting the family with such an item, I feel very confident that the great majority individuals would be in the former camp. :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't want to pollute this fine thread with the same old hypothetical debate (we went through this debate with the Civil War ring didn't we?) so I will only post on this sub-topic this one time. Despite the fact that many might know of or have heard of someone that sold something they inheritted--it's fairly self-evident in speaking with someone and/or seeing them face-to-face whether they will cherish something or will not. In the case of receiving a one-of-a-kind personal item back from a stranger who has gone through the trouble of re-uniting the family with such an item, I feel very confident that the great majority individuals would be in the former camp. :icon_thumleft:

Erik, Least of all was I looking to start another pathetic debate or take away from the original thread. My thoughts have been often on this subject and preservation and caring of interesting and historic objects. Some of us are still learning and looking for answers and this forum often provides Tons of information that is greatly appreciated. My original post was not intended as "pollution" to this thread. I was hoping for positive answers that may be helpful. I will take your kind "civil war ring" reference in consideration and review it for positive answers. I will also take into consideration that "speaking with someone and/or seeing them face to face" is your contributed answer to my question.:icon_thumleft:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just wanted to quickly say my "thread pollution" comment was not directed at you, but a reference to the endless debate that sometimes devolves on these threads. To Gio's credit he posted that he would try and locate the family before anyone even asked if he would :icon_thumleft: It's a good debate topic for another thread or another forum though -- you may want to take a look at the Civil War Ring thread as a reference to opinions on both sides of this issue. No offense was meant in my post towards you and I hope you didn't take any :occasion14:

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No offense taken Erik! :icon_thumright: And my first thought was is it an appropriate question for Gio's thread? Maybe not!
I will consider asking it again on another thread to see if the experts have any opinion.

:occasion14: :occasion14: :occasion14:

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will be up front with any family member I contact. If I know more about the man than they do, then we have a little problem. I'd rather give it to a military museum than see it on Ebay.

So far I have found his son's name with the help of the Patriot. His son died in the 60's. His son had a son (thanks again Patriot), I know his name... but I have hit a brick wall on the easy info. I have a handful of numbers to call.

I'll keep you all posted.

I will do it justice with a nice frame if it ends up on my wall. :laughing7:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be up front with any family member I contact. If I know more about the man than they do, then we have a little problem. I'd rather give it to a military museum than see it on Ebay.

So far I have found his son's name with the help of the Patriot. His son died in the 60's. His son had a son (thanks again Patriot), I know his name... but I have hit a brick wall on the easy info. I have a handful of numbers to call.

I'll keep you all posted.

I will do it justice with a nice frame if it ends up on my wall. :laughing7:

I get the point about the family selling it, although it's one of many excuses I hear to justify the finder keeping it.

If you are seriously worried that it might happen & I wouldn't be. Then it's easy to test the water before offering it up. ie. Don't offer it, until you have been in contact for awhile & disussed whether he has any further info to go with your records etc. Ask if he wants a picture of the find. If he wants no picture & has no interest then a Museum is a great idea. Although even I at this point would keep it, I lend stuff to Museums but the only stuff I sell to them is because of the Treasure Act. (although as I never sell, my collection has to end up somewhere when I die)
However, I would be amazed if he showed NO interest.

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any updates on the search for his kin?

I have found the rest of his medals some of his military papers, at a Medals shop in Ontario. I asked them if they had bought it from a family member. They told me it was purchased from a local collector. I asked for the collector's name, to inquire if it was bought at an estate sale. They told me they couldn't give that info. I passed on my info instead...

The Patriot has been been a great help to me... He found out that his son died in the 60's (before he did), and that his grandson has also passed. There's a possibility that the grandson's wife still lives somewhere in Nova Scotia. The grandson didn't have any children, as far as he can tell. We're not 100% sure yet...

I'll keep you posted.

If I don't track them down, I will contact a few museums.

I suggest you all read the excerpt attached to his medals. An Extensive NWMP & Great War Miniature Group | eMedals

It's quite interesting! This guy even saved lives when his ferry hit an iceberg.

Someone call Tom Hanks! I have a script for him.

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of those relics that has a ton of stories behind it. More than banner worthy. Thanks for the update, even if it doesn't make it back to the family I'm sure you will give it the respect & honor due.

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!

That hand-engraved badge would be a terrific find even without the provenance.

But with it? Priceless! Nice work!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must have been mia when this post went on. Definitely deserving to be up top!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found the rest of his medals some of his military papers, at a Medals shop in Ontario. I asked them if they had bought it from a family member. They told me it was purchased from a local collector. I asked for the collector's name, to inquire if it was bought at an estate sale. They told me they couldn't give that info. I passed on my info instead...

A dealer would never out the family if that's who sold it to him, because you don't burn your bridges. The fact the medals did turn up somewhere else I think tends to say the family did part with them at some point.... but I guess you can never be sure.

Here's an idea... track down the oldest living family member you can find, and only bring up about coming across the medals for sale and see what type of reaction they give. If they don't care, you walk away... if they are surprised and interested, then maybe consider surprising them with what you found.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats the problem, we are almost at a dead end with any living relatives...may take some time but we'll find out for sue...

A dealer would never out the family if that's who sold it to him, because you don't burn your bridges. The fact the medals did turn up somewhere else I think tends to say the family did part with them at some point.... but I guess you can never be sure.

Here's an idea... track down the oldest living family member you can find, and only bring up about coming across the medals for sale and see what type of reaction they give. If they don't care, you walk away... if they are surprised and interested, then maybe consider surprising them with what you found.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats the problem, we are almost at a dead end with any living relatives...may take some time but we'll find out for sue...

No, you just have to know how to track them down. But the more distant, the less point there is in bothering to talk to them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread