Silver spoon hallmarks

remington351

Aug 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone!

I pulled this out of the Atlantic while fishing the other weekend and need some help identifying it. Google searches only turned up Thomas Gibbard photos. But all of the Thomas Gibbard photos show the TG in the same box, not separate. Also, I've not seen anything on the net with the iron cross mark. What do you think? Thanks!

Attachments

• spoon top.jpg
    spoon top.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 555
  • weld.jpg
    weld.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 234
  • hallmarks.jpg
    hallmarks.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 731
  • spoon1.jpg
    spoon1.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 308
OP
OP
R

remington351

Aug 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Fifty views. Nice! But no replies. Am I onto something that rare?

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you know from this page here : English silver hallmarks: British maker's marks identification T&-TC about Thomas Gibbards mark. And also this London Makers Marks - TD-TH You pointed out a good point about the T G being in the same box. This is what I look for when I go through silverware say at a flea market or antique store.. I always keep a eye out on the makers mark being in the same box. Typically the makers who space their makers mark out like yours generally tend to be from the 1890+ period. You can scroll down at many makers marks on the first link I posted in their database and see most of the ones spaced out are more modern period.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

remington351

Aug 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. HutSite, I did spend some time on both the websites that you linked. The fact that most, if not all, letter stamps were usually in the same block is still a major difference. Maybe they are date stamps as Mackaydon suggests. The 1890's seems too recent too me for the following reasons:
1. The lack of a clear reference to the makermark. If it was late 1890's shouldn't we be able to pinpoint exactly which of the stamps ties it to a specific silversmith, or at least a location (Sheffield)? 2. The other stamps on the spoon appear to be crude/less ornate than marks that I'm seeing on the web for late 1800's. Other 1800's examples show pretty detailed crowns, lions, castles, etc. which seems to imply that these stamps on my spoon were from a time period with less advanced technology. 1700's, maybe 1600's? I still think that iron cross is a key element to the answer as I have not seen anything similar on the web.

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a book at another location that I will go through that is about 200 pages with more makers marks.. I will go through it and see what I can find. If this is from the 18th or 17th century then that will be something else... There were 1,000s upon 1,000s of makers out there and lot can be very hard to find out if they are even documented. I'm not trying to be the bad guy and say it is not from the 18th or 17th c. I said "typically" makers marks that are spaced out tend to be more into the mid-later part of the 19th c. Again I will try and help you research this maker.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

remington351

Aug 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Hut! I appreciate all your help and no worries about delivering bad news. As much as I want it to be from Henry VIII's dinner table I know that my spoon is probably not that unique within the antique flatware world. Still knowing more about the marks would make for a great conversation.

Cheers.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread