Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an 1867 home on the Virginia coast that I've wanted to hunt for years, but the owner kept putting me off to the point that I had all but written it off my list of possible permissions. So, I'm at work last Friday and I get a call from the owner saying, "If you still want to metal detect this property, you'd better get out here because I am putting it up for sale." Well, I dropped everything and headed for the coast. I began late that afternoon and finished up at sundown on Sunday. The property has about 5 acres in manicured lawn surrounding the home, so I was basically in frantic cherry picking mode the entire weekend trying to cover as much ground as possible, not knowing if I would be allowed to return. I dug a mountain of clad and wheats, but the real surprise was in the amount of silver I found - to include several firsts for me. I pulled 19 slivers, total, including a war nickel that is not pictured. The finds included 5 GW quarters (1934, 1942,1943,1954, 1956); 5 Mercury dimes (1917,1935,1941,1942,1944); 3 Rosie dimes (1947,1952,1954); 1 Walking Liberty Half (1945), 1 Seated quarter (1873), 2 seated dimes (1876, 1890), and what may be a silver shilling of unknown date. Any ideas on that one (bottom row, far right in the first photo - see the last photos for close ups) would be appreciated. The Walking half and seated dimes were all firsts for me, so needless to say I had one heck of hunt! The Walker half, a Mercury dime, a Rosie and four wheats were a coin spill out of the same hole which was the second target I dug when I got there on Friday afternoon. Little did I know that I was just getting started!

Silver wrap up.jpg
1945 Walker half front.jpg 1945 Walker half back.jpg
1873 seated quarter front.jpg 1873 seated quarter back.jpg
1876 seated dime front.jpg 1876 seated dime back.jpg
1890 seated dime front.jpg 1890 seated dime back.jpg
shilling front.jpg shilling back.jpg

Upvote 55

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions