Silver surprise from last nights hunt

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I went out last night for a couple hours. I just got a new machine so mostly I was just trying to learn the characteristics of it. I found a bunch of clad and some older wheats (1920's -1930's). The best find was this sterling religious medal which at the time I didn't think much of. I was like "Oh cool some sterling" and I put it in my bag. When I got home and cleaned it up I saw it was dated 1830! I've never seen one of these with a date before. It doesn't strike me as looking like something from 1830 but what do I know about religious medals? Have any of you found one with a date before?

Attachments

• medal.JPG
    medal.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 528
Upvote 0

mystic21

Tenderfoot
Mar 23, 2007
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one exactly like yours, with my DFX about 7'' deep,in a neighbors back yard .Did a Go ogle search ,on the back says "creed sterling", one on EBay sold for 55 dollars. I still have mine!

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
The medal is not from 1830. It is a Saint Catherine (Laboure) medal, and they still make them.

"On 18 July 1830 she had a vision of Our Lady who described to her a medal which she wished struck. On one side it has the image of Our Lady, and the words, "O Mary, conceived wthout sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee"; on the other are the hearts of Jesus and Mary. Our Lady told Catherine that wearers of the medal would receive great graces, it has become known as the Miraculous Medal, and its wearing and devotion has spread worldwide. Miracles reported at her tomb."

More here: http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintc11.htm

hybrid_XLT

Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heres one i found, I was thinking the same about the date. 1830. it does look like it could be that old

Attachments

• august 07 004.jpg
    august 07 004.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 371

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at1cad is right. I've found several like that. They are not actually from 1830. Still a fun find though! Here's a few of the ones I've found. They all have the 1830 date.

Attachments

• IMG_0659.JPG
    IMG_0659.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_0660.JPG
    IMG_0660.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 365
OP
OP
incajoe

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Ahhhh...OK, now it makes more sense. It just didn't feel like a medal from 1830 should feel. It seemed like it was too machine made for that early date. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
That's a great find, and sterling, too. Way to go!

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice medal! I'll never forget the first time I found one of those and saw the date, I thought the same thing until we asked the church about it.

HH,
Nat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread