Silver uMax - Learning more about it...

AZWIP

Greenie
Jan 25, 2010
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Fishers: F2, F70, F19 Tesoros: Mojave, Vaquero, B2 uMax, Cortes, Silver, Compadre, Conquistador uMax, Golden uMax
Ok, I know, strange question, but here goes… my questions revolve around the conditions etc, for when you found a valuable item. If you could address things like:

1.) What was the find (such as “small gold earring”, etc)
2.) Where was it found (such as “in a park”, “sandy tot lot” etc)
3.) What were your uMax settings when you found the item (such as All Metal, sensitivity at 9)
4.) Swing rate (Fast, slow, etc)
5.) What was the sound and why did you dig it? Such as “Good solid, well rounded, loud, just “had” to dig it”, etc etc.
6.) Did you try to discriminate it at any point, if so, what were the results?
7.) Target depth, was at 3 inches.
8.) Misc? whatever you would like to add. (-;

Being still a rookie with my uMax, I am curious and am hoping this kind of info. Will help others with their Silver uMax. I’ll kick it off with my most valuable item so far (ok, not worth too much, but was fun, ha ha).

Found a small silver (it was stamped) pendant, about half the size of a pencil eraser in a tot lot about 3 inches under loose sand.
Settings were at All Metal, sensitivity was around 9. Medium speed swing, not too slow, not too fast.
Came across as a subtle blip. Not very loud, but as I was still so new to this, I went after it. It was a repeatable hit though. Can’t recall if I tried to use discriminate to see where it would have discriminated out at (although that would have been good to know I guess).

Anyways stuff like that. Thanks!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One of my cooler finds was a cut pisterene that had a little silver fart sound to it. :D more like a "pip"
It was killing me because at the time I didn't have my pin pointer and I couldn't find it on the surface for the life of me!

OP
OP
A

AZWIP

Greenie
Jan 25, 2010
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Fishers: F2, F70, F19 Tesoros: Mojave, Vaquero, B2 uMax, Cortes, Silver, Compadre, Conquistador uMax, Golden uMax
Ha ha, have I been there or what. Not with the find, but with the search, ha ha.

I call it Chasing Shadows... on rare occassions, even with the pin pointer... just had to give up.... the item was moved all around and no luck in actually holding it, ha ha.

Still so much to learn though on this machine and about the hobby in general.

Spent some time at an elementary school, had disc set to Foil, and it just went off all over the place, even when I set Disc to Nickel, still seemed to be targets all over. I did not dig anything, as I only had a small window of time... so was sort of looking for things on the surface in the dark... no luck, seemed whatever the items were, they were all under ground. But at this time, it still all sort of sounds the same to me, again, much to learn.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread