Silver under heavy rooted area

NCcoinDigger

Jul 2, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 - Stock 12", 6x10 DD, 5.3 Concentric
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a solid silver hit about 5-6 inches below a ton of 1/2 in. Thick roots. What is the best tool to get down to it without destroying the target? I spent about 15 minutes with my lesche digger. Got my pro pointer hitting solid tone so I was right on top of it but the roots were so bad that my hole is only about 2" in diameter. Making it impossible to get it out without scratching it.

Upvote 0

chip12977

Jun 7, 2012
Duncansville,pa
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Whites PI Dual Field
Fisher f2 - sold
Whites DFX 300 - sold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a tough one, you could try putting something sticky on the end of a stick and hopefully it sticks to it, or get a pair of mechanics fingers at a parts store, they might scratch it though, you could try dipping them in plastic dip.

Or just cut the roots a little wider

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
hecken309946.jpg

Don....

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good thinking Mackaydon(Unless its a root from a prized shrub that is)

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Couple good suggestions so far. It's just a matter of time and you will have it.

OP
OP
NCcoinDigger

NCcoinDigger

Jul 2, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thinking don. I may have some hand pruners around here somewhere. Maybe worst case scenario ill take an axe and cut a 1 foot by 1 foot section

OP
OP
NCcoinDigger

NCcoinDigger

Jul 2, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch it be a piece of trash lol. Ill post a pic when i go back and get it

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug a lot of good signals under roots, only one was silver....ugh!

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've talked to a few guys that take hand pruners with them every time they are woods hunting. Check back and let us know what you found.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a Cable Saw that is basically a thin wire that is infused with diamond dust and each end has a loop round loop on it. It will zip through those roots,

Last edited:
OP
OP
NCcoinDigger

NCcoinDigger

Jul 2, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusty square nail. I can't believe it! I was getting perfect silver tones from each direction. Not choppy or anything

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusty square nail. I can't believe it! I was getting perfect silver tones from each direction. Not choppy or anything

Man if I had a buck for every time this happened I could buy a new metal detector.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Well that just sucks! I always carry a folding pruning saw with me like the one in the picture below. Goes through roots like butter.
-Swartzie

Attachments

• 038313072650.jpg
    038313072650.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 98
OP
OP
NCcoinDigger

NCcoinDigger

Jul 2, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys. I had to go back out with my dfx 1 more time before she goes to a new owner, went to the same spot I dug the nail because I had the same signal after I pulled the nail out but was too tired to keep digging just to get another nail. Sure enough it was still screaming silver so I said let's dig this because you never know. Under the thickest root I saw a little silver peaking out so it was ON!!! 15 minutes later finally managed to pull this what appears to be a silver spoon head out?? You be the judge

image-3182919852.jpg

image-149100068.jpg

Awesome right?? So I go about 3 feet from it and get a nice dime hit about 5 inches deep and out pops this pretty sight that I haven't seen in a while!

image-3643233708.jpg

image-2741960623.jpg

image-2903346882.jpg

Goes to show you should never second guess those signals. Even if you do get wrap around iron targets time to time

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Merc! I don't think the spoon is silver, there is a lot of rust on it.

OP
OP
NCcoinDigger

NCcoinDigger

Jul 2, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking the same thing but the nail was literally right beside it and completely cruded with rust. This spoon was screaming solid silver numbers

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking the same thing but the nail was literally right beside it and completely cruded with rust. This spoon was screaming solid silver numbers

See if you can find someone to do a silver test. Don't confuse a detector response with "reality". No metal detector can perform metallic identification. All they do is put a radio signal into the ground and look at the signal that comes back. Crushed aluminum cans can read as half dollars. Large or oddly shaped items can give off readings as well. Silver dimes can read as indian head cents under some circumstances.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread