Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man o man, what a great way to start my year! I went back to a farmhouse I have done before. I've gotten wheaties near the house, but never silver. Got two more wheats, a '51 and '52. So, not too old. Went back over an area I have done a lot and got a really iffy signal with a high tone mixed in. The high tone and depth was enough to make me dig. Out pops the 1943 Merc. Had a big smile on my face. Decided it was time to head back in the field, which itself is an interesting story.

A while ago I was looking at the map of this farmhouse. It dates to around 1920. I was looking at an 1875 map and noticed a structure on this plot way back in the field. I asked the owner about it and he lit up. He said, "Yeah, I assumed that just because I always hit stone in that area." Well, I have tried the area in the past - trying to verify that it was a house from that period. I've gotten an iron, parts of a furnace, and tons of iron. I actually have a pile of iron I need to take out.

Well, wanted to see how the AT Pro handled all that iron. Nothing really going at first, until I got the green disk. At first I thought it might be an Indian, but noticed how thin it was. I had to wait to get home to clean it off. Once cleaned I found it was a flat button with the shank broken. On the back it says "Gilt LH SWC" with stars in between. Any button experts give me a date on this? Next I got a nice pewter spoon. Unfortunately, no marks on it. Last item had a nice middle to high 80s tone coming in deep. shoveled the hole and out comes the beautiful 1845 largie. I was stoked to verify the location finally with a dated item.

IMG00229-20120106-1500.jpg

IMG00230-20120106-1503.jpg

IMG00231-20120106-1504.jpg

Upvote 0

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as detail , that largie is one of the finest dug - that i have seen on this site ! Argentium.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Large cent is a beauty!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread