silver

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Great chart, but it's inaccurate in a major way. The chart lets you know that, for instance, a loaf of bread that cost 10 cents in 1933 now costs $1.83. But we have to work longer to buy that bread now because in 1933 there were no federal, state, local, social security or sales taxes on an individual level in most cases. If the chart was in NET purchasing power, it would be a lot more accurate.

I had to write out "cents" because the original symbol has been omitted from the qwerty keyboard!

So I think what you are saying is, taking into consideration all the different increasingly burdensome government fiscal policies over the past century in addition to the Fed's destructive monetary policies over that same period of time that the USD (esp for Americans) is actually even a lot weaker than that chart shows?

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Silverface, that is exactly what I was getting at, although you said it more succintly. When my father got his first full time job in 1938, he made $20 a (six day) week. The inflation adjusted equivalent of that now would buy less than what he was able to buy then (not dealing with technology, which costs less now in real terms.)

danya

Feb 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I am waiting for it to go back all the way up to 30 USD again. May be a long wait.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread