silverbell stagecoach holdup

G

Goldendigger68

Was wondering if anyone has anymore info on this lost treasure tale: A dirt road runs west from cortaro to
the original mining town of silverbell(the old stage route), a stagecoach was held up by 3-men in a mountain pass
they made off with a strongbox which contained $50,000 in silver dollars(probably Morgan dollars),then let the
coach proceed.
Less than 2-hours later a posse caught up with the 3-robbers somewhere near the scene of the holdup,all 3
robbers died in the gunfight with the posse, the strongbox was found in the area but was empty, supposedly
a drunk woman stumbled upon the cache and pocketed $9000 and buried the rest, but was unable to locate the remaining $41,000 at a later date. The date of this tale is unknown but probably between 1880-1910
Cortaro is Interstate 10 near Tucson, I think the "old stage route to silverbell" is picture rocks road, and the
mountain pass is the mountain pass between tucson and picture rocks, I need to do more research but this is the general area.
I dont know if the coach was travelling from tucson to silverbell or vice versa, but i suspect it was headed to Tucson, that location is about 15 miles from downtown Tucson and whould have taken an hour going 15 mph
which is probably about the speed of a stagecoach, then another hour for the posse to arrive at the scene
of the holdup, so it appears the coach was going to Tucson to a bank to deposit funds from the silverbell mine.
I live in Tucson and this area is very close to where I live, any info would be very much appreciated!

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Seems more likely the coach was heading to the mine ... carrying the miners' payroll, perhaps? Otherwise, why would minted coins be removed?

OP
OP
G

Goldendigger68

If they were going to silverbell it would have been about a 2 hour ride there, and another hour for a posse
to arrive, assuming the posse riders were galloping 30 mph the whole way, more likely the coach was headed to tucson, could have been a Mine bigwig making a personal bank deposit.
I would like to someday metal detect this area, problem is alot of private property in this area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread