silverware?

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
A lot of times I see silverware in plastic bags in the thrift stores. I have no idea if they are plated or real silver. Any tips for me about it, or better to just stick with jewelry?

edited to add-- On another thread, someone mentioned that plated has a rainbow pattern. I meant to say, THANK YOU, because it has helped me a lot. meanwhile, I have found no silver other than what they found first.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most silver flatware is marked as such - so you will usually see “sterling” “coin” “800”’etc. Always be on the look out for sterling handled knives too - they get missed often. A lot of times they are marked “sterling - handle”. Aside from marks, you can look at the tarnish like you said, but that’s iffy at best.

Next time ur in antique store check out there sterling flatware. Handle it, look at the quality, the use marks etc. The more ur around it the easier it is.

Finally - don’t ignore stainless. A decent set will bring $200 if you break it up. A really good set can bring $50’per piece. For example, I just sold these:

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1535417741.148125.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread