Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

My grandmother has a bunch of old silverware...all different kinds and brands. I was looking at them last time I was there and mentioned that some of it might be valuable, some might be silver. She assured me quickly that it was all plated. I noticed some of the pieces said 'sterling'. If it says sterling, my assumption is that it is 92.5% silver, not plated. But it seems like I read somewhere that's not the case with silverware. Can someone set me straight :tongue3:

Thanks,

OO

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
It's sterling,just like it's marked...if something is stamped coin silver,that also is silver..though a lower percentage at 90 %....or some might have hallmarks.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marked sterling is sterling (0.925) and not plated.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree that if it is marked "Sterling", then the Flatware (Silverware) is definitely 0.925 Silver. While there is and have been many pieces of so-called Gold jewelry marked 10k, 12k, 14k and 18k and even fewer pieces of jewelry marked Silver and/or Sterling that are not what is marked on them, I know of no cases where Flatware (Silverware) were marked "Sterling" and they weren't Sterling.

Last edited:

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some silver plated flatware is also valuable to people if it is the right brand and pattern. The sold listings on ebay can give you a sense of which ones are valuable.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She wanted to keep you away from it lol kidding Definitely silver if its marked 925

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions