Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wood handles, 12 inch is a good length for light rods. Some people are turning out wood pendulums now.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wood handles, 12 inch is a good length for light rods. Some people are turning out wood pendulums now.
Wood pendulums have been around for a while now. I made a couple out of oak didn't care for them. Gave em to a lady & she gave the other to her friend. Always wanted to turn one out of iron wood, thought it'd be pretty. Anyone else try wood?

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron wood should be heavy enough. Years ago I tried making one out of Black Willow. It worked fine on a natural fiber cord but the cord came pre-waxed. Natural fiber I suppose waxed made it either more durable or perhaps free moving. Black willow wood is lighter and whittles easy with a pocketknife. Had to make it longer for enough weight to swing. Most of them I see are longer probably reason why.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron wood should be heavy enough. Years ago I tried making one out of Black Willow. It worked fine on a natural fiber cord but the cord came pre-waxed. Natural fiber I suppose waxed made it either more durable or perhaps free moving. Black willow wood is lighter and whittles easy with a pocketknife. Had to make it longer for enough weight to swing. Most of them I see are longer probably reason why.
I gotta swing past the new age store later this week. I'll try to snap some pics & get some measurements.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the recent long fancy metal shapes were duplicated or similar design using wood. I would think a metal pendulum using the longer length designs (such as these wooden) might be a bit heavy.

Attachments

• wooden-pendulum_01.jpg
    wooden-pendulum_01.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 21
  • wooden-pendulum_02.jpg
    wooden-pendulum_02.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 19
  • wooden-pendulum_03.jpg
    wooden-pendulum_03.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the recent long fancy metal shapes were duplicated or similar design using wood. I would think a metal pendulum using the longer length designs (such as these wooden) might be a bit heavy.
Nice ones. More ornate than the ones I made. Thanks for the ideas / samples.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen a few metal pendulums nearly identical to first wooden (blue background photo). Other wide with about 7 rings on top part, for metal you need to reduce down to 3 or 4 rings with a little smaller diameter on top. Middle photo, I saw a couple metal already on FB with the same design.

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen a few metal pendulums nearly identical to first wooden (blue background photo). Other wide with about 7 rings on top part, for metal you need to reduce down to 3 or 4 rings with a little smaller diameter on top. Middle photo, I saw a couple metal already on FB with the same design.
Now that you mention it I've got one like the blue. Background one silver color. Way too heavy for me. Guess it'd be ok for dowsing in a hurricane.😋

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In boat or hurricane, might be ok. Hardwood that style should be great for normal use.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get many metal designs just use your imagination.

Attachments

• metal-pendulums.jpg
    metal-pendulums.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 17

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You can watch and understand.

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man... my niece got into my rod bucket...
Anyway, my dowsing rods that were given to me by a vendor at a mining show after I gave a demonstration to a crowd of people around me have dissapeared after around 30 years of solid use... They were gold tipped and I could really feel their energy and they found pounds of gold or whatever I was looking for... After the crowd saw how easy that they were to use, the guy sold out fast and with a huge smile on his face, gave me that set, so they were full of great energy... We all have that favorite set of rods that we cherish forever and unfortunately I'm back to square one... I ordered a couple of different sets off of Amazon, just for fun BECAUSE - my wife threw out all of our good ol' metal coat hangers that always felt fine in a pinch. Some women love fancy hangers I guess...
And I bought these -

And these collapsibles that look like pens -

And I like the first set a lot. This is the first set that I've owned that seem to work almost as well as a willow branch does for water... I always liked using a fresh cut willow branch when looking for leaks in an old water supply that I took care of and this new wire set feels good in the hands.
But the collapsibles are just not... I mean, you can feel them, but not not like my old gold tipped set. But they work and are easily stored in my pocket, so there is some good that has come from them...
So... do I spend more money? Or just go with the new flow?
Here's a pic of my old set...
Gold 2004 011.jpg

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can take this nugget pendant on gold rope chain, place it in a treasure chest style jewelry box, then in a drawer. L-rods will always pick out the nugget rather than the rope chain. Apparently the higher gold content in a nugget will get a better response from rods.

WIN_20231127_16_18_04_Pro.jpg

Shortrib

Greenie
Aug 28, 2022
I can take this nugget pendant on gold rope chain, place it in a treasure chest style jewelry box, then in a drawer. L-rods will always pick out the nugget rather than the rope chain. Apparently the higher gold content in a nugget will get a better response from rods.

View attachment 2117522
Yes I went to hobby lobby and got a plastic box of gold leaf flakes that work well for a good pull for Simmons rod. Shortrib

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have my favorites. :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread