Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Since I'm new to American Indian Artifact collecting

I would have to vote for Mother Natures handy-work on those, although the one with the holes :icon_scratch:

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania

im no expert but aside from the one with the holes....there are some with signs of being worked

i think yo may have a celt and maybe some scrapers there.. molly will know for sure. try to post picks of side views that may show the edges. especially #1 on top and #1 and #3 on bottom

Looks like a mix of geofacts and artifacts to me. The one with holes is what we commonly call a "nutting stone". The holes in yours do appear smaller than what I'm used too, but its also been said that such were used to help stabilize bow drills, and sometimes as anvilles in the bi polar flaking technique.
One of em does look like a celt, but from the pic, its hard to tell if there is a blade on the end or not. Could also be a hammer or grindstone?
:thumbsup:

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut

I have the other pics at home showing side views, etc...

Except for this pic as I originally posted the photos in "Today's Finds"

Thanks for the comments!

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 300
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 295
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 295
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 298
A

arrow719

The celt is for sure, I think I see an axe too. Welcome to the world of indian artifacts, it can be very addicting! :wave:

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut

arrow719, johnnyreb, mistergee and creekhunter...Thanks for the input. I'll try to add a couple of pics /different angles.

And yes, this IS addictive. I mean, I never thought of artifact hunting until a couple of months ago when I found 2 rocks that were just fun and sassy...turned out that I have a bowl and a hand axe. And to think I almost left them at the original site!
it all started with one metal detector, now I have a small bottle, marble, relic and NOW artifact collection. One thing leads to another...what's next?

vibes said:
arrow719, johnnyreb, mistergee and creekhunter...Thanks for the input. I'll try to add a couple of pics /different angles.

And yes, this IS addictive. I mean, I never thought of artifact hunting until a couple of months ago when I found 2 rocks that were just fun and sassy...turned out that I have a bowl and a hand axe. And to think I almost left them at the original site!
it all started with one metal detector, now I have a small bottle, marble, relic and NOW artifact collection. One thing leads to another...what's next?
Just wait till your bit by the arrowhead bug. You'll go for those any time you got a choice. Heck, I even found some flint points while I was stationed in Europe.

P

pickaway

I vote geofacts to.keep on lookin...

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin

I believe that all of them are geofacts. The one on the lower right at first looked as though it may have a bit and be a celt but upon looking for a while I believe it's too rounded, celts are typically more refined. As for the nutting stone I do believe that it is natural also only because I have found that same type of greenish rock with the exact same holes like that in all different sizes, holes are nearly always identical but the two of the three I found came from a glacial gravel quarry where there is no possible way they were from Natives. I do believe that you are looking for the right sort of things in general but keep in mind that ground stone tools in comparrison to flaked artifacts are exceedingly rare. Watch for flakes of quartz and flint in fields, good sites will have tons of them scattered all over the place. When you find a field like that the points and knives will be close behind, then, after you have hunted it for a while you might get lucky and find a ground stone tool of some type but it will more than likely only be one at a time. I've been hunting artifacts for a good 20+ years now and I have only found one broken celt. Of course the ground stone tools are more common farther south and in bigger camp sites but they are still hard to come by. Use a critical eye, not imagination as many do, look for evidence of the manufacturing process, peck marks, striations on the surface, polish in just the bit area etc etc. When you do find a good celt or axe or other ground stone tool there more than likely will be no doubt or question in your mind as to wether or not it is, you will know. In the mean time keep posting things you have questions on, there are plenty of people here that will help you, unfortunately there are some with over active imaginations as well but we all mean well!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread