Singer Sewing Machine found. Do not know how old???????

• Thread starter michigan michael
  • Start date
M

michigan michael

Attachments

• singer.jpg
    singer.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 906
Upvote 0

Kiwijohn

Dec 10, 2008
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Excalibur 1000 Garrett Pro Pointer
These machines are collected all around the world. There are several databases matching serial numbers to date and place of manufacture. You just have to find the serial number ???
Start here
http://www.ismacs.net/home.html

Leeame

Feb 8, 2007
Grants Pass OR
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
My guess is that it is an old treadle machine. The fact that there isn't a moter mounted and the wheel is the type that are easy to hand crank kind of give me that idea. Check for a plaque somewhere on the base for a serial number or model number, if you can find these you can go to the Singer website, type it in and they will give you the "birthdate" for your machine. It is cool, I found an old Singer 221 Featherweight at the Goodwill awhile back, paid $20 and could sell it on Ebay for $500+. It was " born" in 1938. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps

Lisa in So. Oregon

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

I see a little oval shaped spot where a serial number could have been. This machine is pretty corroded. The cool thing is it still has the needle in it. It looks more like a nail than a needle but what ever it is its been there a while.
Thanks
MM

Did you end up selling yours Lisa? Cool site Kiwijohn!
Thx!

Leeame

Feb 8, 2007
Grants Pass OR
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Heck No!
The Featherweights are in high demand to quilters as a machine that makes the "Perfect Straight Stitch". Guess what, I quilt.

Tee Hee

Lisa

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Leeame said:
Heck No!
The Featherweights are in high demand to quilters as a machine that makes the "Perfect Straight Stitch". Guess what, I quilt.

sounds like you found a treasure also congrats

Tee Hee

Lisa

S

seger98

Might be a neat old thimble around there, get out there & swing that detector...

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
michigan michael,
neat. :thumbsup:

Kiwijohn,
thanks for the site; will get
some use out of it. :wink:

have a goo un....................
SHERMANVILLE

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

sage said:
Cool! find You find that in michigan?????? keep diigin! that would look awesome in our lodge! and yeah, GO SPARTANS
I wish I dug this..... I was scouting a wooded area and found this in a pile of concrete/rocks. I uncovered it and took it to the car. Ground is to hard to dig but, I still found my treasure! ;D
MM

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone know were the serial # is
on Singer treadle machines?

Thanks.

have a good un...........
SHERMANVILLE

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
I love sewing machines!

The one you found could be turn of the centuryup through the 20s or so. Very cool. Be careful cleaning and preserving it. A lot of these were pinstriped and fairly ornate. A mechanical miracle of the past century. Awesome find.

We found a Singer 500A Slant-O-Matic in it's case in my grandmothers basement after she passed away. She told my wife she could have it so I grabbed it and a huge box of accessories for it. Turns out it is a very desirable machine and well respected all over from quilters to seamstresses.

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

Thanks everyone! Happy hunting!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find, we have an intact machine, wife's Grandmother used it. HH, Mike

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandmother had a treadle machine and was quite a seamstress. I remember playing around in the floor at her side while she pumped the old treadle and made things. She always cautioned me to keep my hands away from the treadle or get pinched. I was about three years old. People tell me I have a phenominal memory but I always thought every one did and didn't realize it was unusual until I was an adult. Great find. Monty

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks.

have a good un...........
SHERMANVILLE

Leeame

Feb 8, 2007
Grants Pass OR
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:

Thanks.

I believe they were on the bottom on the treadles, on the ones with the moter, they are on the bottom underneath the footplate. Mine is stamped into the metal.

tootles
Lisa

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread