Siphon water transfer for recirc systems

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Using a siphon(s) to transfer water from tub to tub to allow sediment settling (cleaner water transfer) is not a new idea (at least not to me) but this guy demonstrates how to sustain a high pumping volume and keep your equipment more portable (no physical connections) for field use.

Last edited:

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just use hose like the farmers. You don't have to start the siphon like this, because you can dunk the hose then cover one end as you take it to the next bucket.

Science behind the hose thingy

When those political signs come out, Create dividers in each bucket making a maze, increasing the area as you move from the bucket's inlet to it's outlet. More distance gives debris more time to settle.

I saw those buckets at walmart and instantly thought of doing what he did. Only I'd add an over under in the first bucket to remove floaties, then baffles in the other 2 separate the inlet from the outlet.

If I'm not explaining that well, look at that middle bucket where his hands are on the inlet and outlet. The water comes in and can immediately go out into the third bucket. Now, put a board between the inlet and outlet and the water has to go around the board to exit. Instead, run a piece of plastic down the middle so the water has to come to the camera end of the bucket and then all the way back to the outlet. If that's a 3 foot bucket, the water has to travel 6' to get to the outlet. Start the plastic close to the inlet ~4" and a little less than 1/2 way across the width at the camera end. Now the faster inlet is facing a wider, slower moving body to help slow it down. This same baffel creates another reverse funnel on the right side.

From above:
clarifier.jpg .

In addition, if you have over under baffles along the length of the bucket, the water must go up and down further increasing the distance traveled.

From the side:
updown.jpg
6 arrows showing the water going around the end of the baffle I should think.

If paint don't make me look like a drunk madman posting at 1am, nothing will.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread