Six Coppers, All 1700s, 3 Draped Bust LC, NJ, KGIII, and 1 smoothie(KGIII?)

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I wish I could say they were all mine, but nope, my son had a great week and he let me share some of the wealth! :thumbsup:
My son is a great researcher and this week he was chompin at the bit to check out a few possible spots that were looking favorable on the aerial maps to similar site nearby that produced a 1797 Half Cent and a Conn copper last year. So on Monday after work he did a quick exploratory search through very thick scrub oak and did find Two very small homesteads from around 1800 occupation time.

In the short time he had to hunt he got a worn out copper (most likely a KGIII, date bar barely visible) and a 1775 KGIII (counterfeit) in the same hole, and a some large buttons. He wanted to further explore a nearby site so he left quickly and did find the second site, a tad larger and he got a decent 1787 New Jersey copper and some more buttons and things.

His quick 1.5 hour hunt yielded 3 Colonial era coppers and buttons and relics so not bad for an exploratory search type hunt.

Yesterday, I met him after work and we went back to the site he where he got the NJ copper. He started finding buttons and pewter spoon parts right away, while dear ole Dad was digging modern arrowhead hunting points, parts of aluminum arrow shaft and shotgun casings! (Figures)

Well, he finally yelled out he had a definite coin reading, I went over and verified it with my detector and copper #1 for the day was a Draped Bust Large Cent. We hunted a while longer and I finally got a small old button, but still no coins. Finally Dan yelled that he had another coin reading, I again walked over to verify before he dug and copper #2 for the day appeared, another Draped Bust Large Cent.

Now the pressure was building for me to find one, and luckily I did get that high sweet tone of a copper not too long afterwards. This time my son came over and verified with his detector, and I dug and yes, I got #3 copper for the day, another Draped Bust Large Cent.

We both hunted for about another 20 minutes, Dan got some more buttons, think he had at least 7 for the day to my 1, but I got the biggest buckle I ever found, so that was some consolation....... :)

Upon cleaning the coppers, it was very strange that all three coppers dug yesterday were 1798 Large Cents! Mine came out in the best shape but all three were good in details and I did get the variety of all of them, two are Scarce and one a very scarce variety .

My son sent me a cleaned photo of all his finds (attached) and said to look at the one pewter piece, LOL, it does look like a duck's head!!

Also, another strange thing, on his first hunt on Monday he found a large, bent design button, and yesterday he found another one there, both seem to be identical in design, and how they are bent, including the flattening of the button shanks. Weird, any thoughts on why, other than coincidence??

So, a great 1.5 hour hunt with my son and with a another total of six copper between us, and all 1700's, this years so far has been a great one for both of us.....

HH

Don

Attachments

• Site236.jpg
    Site236.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 883
  • Danscleaned finds.jpg
    Danscleaned finds.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 870
  • Dan1775KGIII.jpg
    Dan1775KGIII.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 865
  • Dan1787Maris46-e.jpg
    Dan1787Maris46-e.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 870
  • DanBlankCopperKGIII.jpg
    DanBlankCopperKGIII.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 868
  • 1798DrapedBustLCsite236DAN20Mar092nd.jpg
    1798DrapedBustLCsite236DAN20Mar092nd.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 878
  • 1798DrapedBustLCsite236DAN20Mar09.jpg
    1798DrapedBustLCsite236DAN20Mar09.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 878
  • 1798DrapedBustLargeCentSite236March20th.jpg
    1798DrapedBustLargeCentSite236March20th.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 873
  • Samebentbuttons.jpg
    Samebentbuttons.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 867
  • DansFindsDirtyMarch20th Site236.jpg
    DansFindsDirtyMarch20th Site236.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 874
  • Site236FindsMarch20th.jpg
    Site236FindsMarch20th.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 872
  • DonDiggin1798LargeCent.jpg
    DonDiggin1798LargeCent.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 873
Upvote 0

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Fantastic finds once again!

Congrats on a terrific week.

Neil

PS: Perhaps the garment that those buttons were on were damaged while the garment was being pressed, or ironed?

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you guys sure hae some neat finds....Matt

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went throw a mangler :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
Fantastic finds once again!

Congrats on a terrific week.

Neil

PS: Perhaps the garment that those buttons were on were damaged while the garment was being pressed, or ironed?

My son and I both think the bending was done on purpose and since the owner most likely lived at this site I would think they were woodsmen/loggers or something related to saw/gristmill type operations and don't think they had their clothes pressed by other than what they did back then. This site was rather isolated.
If only one had been found nothing would have been thought of the bend in the button, but since two were found at the same site and the bends are almost the same, that seems beyond coincidence, so just another unknown mystery of some found relics, which makes this hobby even more interesting.

That buckle I found is by far the biggest I have gotten in 30 years of any type of buckle, I am thinking of wire brushing it, rather than electrolysis and than coating it so I can permantly display that one with my others. That must have been one big leather strap that buckle attached to!

Don

Attachments

• buckle.jpg
    buckle.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 493

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you are both off to a great start in 2009. I think my year will kick off in about a months time with a week straight of digging, and yes I can't wait.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW ! Awesome finds Don,congrats to you and your son. I found a similar large buckle last fall.The bend in the buttons is pretty interesting.....mabey the guy got ran over by a run away ox cart while wearing the jacket.........thats my story and I'm stickin to it. :D

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started to clean the buckle and it is a home made one, not the best Blacksmith in the world made it, rather crude but hopefully it will clean up decent, since I don't think the rust is all the way through on any portion of the buckle.

Not sure what the use of one that size would be for, but evidently not that common of a size.

I think the two bent buttons and the buckle were the most intriqueing finds from this small homestead. :wink:

Don

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a successful hunt all them coppers are beautiful, the buttons are some nice finds to add to a collection. that buckle is the largest I have seen. What do you put on you iron to preserve it. I wish I could find one copper with a date I would be happy. Hope ya find many more great finds for me to see this year. HH!!

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
collector01 said:
Congrats on a successful hunt all them coppers are beautiful, the buttons are some nice finds to add to a collection. that buckle is the largest I have seen. What do you put on you iron to preserve it. I wish I could find one copper with a date I would be happy. Hope ya find many more great finds for me to see this year. HH!!

If you go to Cleaning and Preservation forum a page or two back,(found the posts, url below) I posted some Irons and Iron Trivets that I did electrolysis on a year or two ago and I actually preserved them with CRISCO!! It worked great, they are still doing fine to this day, of course the wife was not too happy over me using a toaster oven to bake the Trivets in and never used it again! ::) So, she has a new one now and is happy..............

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,64612.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,64349.0.html

Don

1266x

Greenie
Oct 13, 2008
Berkshire County
Very nice...............a great way to make history live.

So, on the maps,what was your son able to see? Were there spots that looked like a cellar hole,old roads or was it something else?

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250
Incredible as always. That first draped bust has incredible details for laying in the ground that long. Looks like your logger had some holes in his pockets.

spanishsilver

Dec 26, 2004
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS, Tesoro Silver, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool Don. How old are the maps that your son is using. Also is he just overlying the aerials with the old maps. Whats the best aerial sight to get good photos. I am up here in NH. Thanks Don and cool finds.

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector
Nice coins great hunt :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread