davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
by chance is that T.I. Beach? I'll be there Sunday a.m. The weather changed a lot from 1/1/08 so I don't know if many deposits were made. You did about the same as myself this winter during hunts.

OP
OP
guzz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
No,I was at one of the beaches in Sarasota . Targets were limited to say the least. Just not that many depositors out. Spring breakers are coming so that should help all of the Florida hunters ..Good luck on sundays hunt ..Guzz1

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
Same bleakness up here in clearwater. Probably 3-4 people on the beach today. Cant wait till the warm weather comes back.

OP
OP
guzz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Yea I know , I saw a lot of rusted bottle caps at the surface today So I know some sand was stripped off last night ,, Just not enough to make a difference. But at least we can still go out and hunt in in decent temps. The guys up north have to fight the elements to hunt or just stay home and shovel snow and chip ice .They really have rough .... HH GUZZ1

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spring break will be here before you know it. I'm counting the days. It will make you forget all about these days of meager finds.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guzz. I was just north of you today in the Tampa area. I drove the 2.5 hours and got there at 8 a.m. I tried the water for a couple of hours but it was brutal. The surf didn't look that bad from the shore but when I got in, the waves were breaking over my head. It was taking a good 10 minutes each to make a recovery once I got a target which all turned out to be coins and junk. The bottom was really stirred up. I was eyeballing coins at the water line but no jewelry.

I got out of the water pretty chilled even though I had my wet suit on. I hunted the dry sand with my Sovereign and pulled some deep coins out but no jewelry. Got lots of nickels. I ran into a fellow using an Excalibur and he didn't have any luck either. I saw two other guys with Whites Detectors but they weren't in the sociable mood. I saw another guy with a Bounty Hunter there. He didn't seem to want to talk either. I spent the entire daylight hours there.

The next couple of nights are going to be some really good minus tides but they peak at 3 and 4 a.m. I believe there would be things to find after those waves stirred the bottom up today.

Hope the warm weather gets here soon.

Jim

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chief, if you see me on the beaches, I'll talk. I'll be that guy with a Titan 3000, pulling my digger with a rope and stopping everywhere to dig. I don't have a water machine yet, but that's coming.

I hunt T.I. (all of it from Sunset Beach to Johns Pass), Upham Beach, Mad Beach, Spa Beach in St Pete, and every tot lot in between.

Good luck and Happy Hunting.

OP
OP
guzz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
CHIEF I pulled out a lot of dimes yesterday.. they were deep and had been there while . I don't get dimes that often. quarters and pennies is the norm for me .. I was gonna go out this morning but I'm pretty beat up from yesterdays hunt . I'll hit it tomorrow. Guzz

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal. Welcome Davest, maybe I'll see you there in a couple of months. I plan on not hunting again until Spring Break for the kids. I'll be sure to talk with you though.

Guzz, I know what you mean about being beaten up. I could hardly walk when I got home. Arthritis in my hips and knees has come upon me in the last year and I am not that stinking old yet. Looks like I am in for a rough old age especially if I insist on hunting all day like I do. My fingers were sore from having to grip everything in the surf so hard. I nearly lost my scoop a couple of time. I had my Infinium hip mounted so it wasn't going anywhere.

I know that if there had been some jewelry in the sand, I would have found it because with my Sovereign I was digging coins deep with the 15 inch WOT coil. It gives a strange but very recognizable signal on a deep item. Anything really deep makes what I call a "Nervous Sound". It sounds just like a good signal but it has this very distinct vibration or jitter to the sound kind of like when someone nervous or very scared is talking. That's my best way to describe it. I know others may describe it differently. When I hear that, I know that I may as well go ahead and dig at least 8 scoops worth before I check to see if I have dug up the target.

Good luck to everyone in the coming weeks. I hope to get back down around the end of March.

Jim

OP
OP
guzz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
HEY chief
Thanks for the tip .I'm still getting to know the sov Gt ,its only been a week or so since i got it.
I'm going out today for a quick spin , I'm waiting for it b to warm up a bit . I have the stock coil on my gt and it seems to go quite deep . a little deeper than my excal. hh guzz1

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
I tried for a while today but froze my you know whats off, (feet).

Perhaps next week.

OP
OP
guzz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
WOW! Ralph ,, Your a better man than me ,, I got out to my car and turned around and went back in the house ,, I'M gonna go tomorrow .Weather permitting,,,,,,,, Guzz1

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guzz, you are right on that stock coil. My first trip out with it on my Sovereign was at a playground that I went to test it on. I had worked that area with my Tesoro which is really deep also but the stock coil on the Sovereign was pulling some really deep items out of the ground. I was shocked at the depth of that stock coil. It was far more superior than anything I had ever used before.

The 15 inch WOT coil gives you more area per swing on the beach. It is a little bit deeper also. I am going to post a relic hunt I did a few weeks ago when I get my film developed. I forgot my digital camera on that hunt and had to buy a throw away 35mm to take photos. I haven't had the time to get my film developed. I am not sure of the advantage of depth on the beach anymore since I am sure I have covered large areas and would have found anything deep if it had been there but it wasn't. I was pulling coins from very deep. The only question I was having was maybe that it wouldn't pick up on gold that deep but I think it would. I believe next time out, I am going to power down a bit although Treasure Hunter said he found a Mercury Dime at St. Pete beach using the WOT Coil. That means there is lots of stuff probably still there really deep that can be pulled with the WOT that others have missed.

Maybe all of us can meet up one day for a competition and cook out somewhere in the middle for a full day. It would be fun to go at and share that story on here.

Take care.

Jim

OP
OP
guzz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
I'm down for that Jim anytime , WE have some great spots over here . rdi mention doing something like that as well , I think that would be Great if we could put that together on sat or sunday here in the future ... Guzz1

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
guzz1 said:
I spent six hours at the beach today nothing but clad and a sore back... It was a bit overcast and pleasant ,surf was up ,,Big time ,, Might make for good hunting Saturday . Looks like the high tide took some sand last night .. Oh well ,will give it shot tomorrow ....GUZZ1
you guys have newcastle brown ale outstanding

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good to me. We may want to wait and shoot for Spring Break or so when there would be lots of folks on the beach and the weather would be just a tad better. Since you all live down that way and know the beaches better, you may have a better idea of when they would be more populated. I am game for anytime. I am having to travel to San Antonio, Tx. the first two weekends in March but after that any time will be fine. I believe most spring break weeks are during the last week in March and first couple of weeks in April but if some time after that is better I am good with that also. Just let me know.

OP
OP
guzz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
;) Will shoot for a weekend in April Jim,,Everybody put that on the back burner .Will talk more about it.as the time grows closer . Will pick a date and everyone is welcome to come .. hunt and a cook out at the beach... be a Great time .. Guzz1

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
I need the name of the book for the Excalibur2. I remember seeing it on this site but can't find it.

I believe the authors name is Clyde something or other.
The book is specific to the Excalibur.
TIA

Never mind, I found it. Thanks anyway.

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
any day on the beach is a good day,so that makes your finds good finds ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread