SIX Seated Silvers, 2 Reales, 1 Real, Military and More!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

This spring has been rough for digging due to work and uncooperative weather (rain!) when we were free. Well, we finally managed to get two days free for a couple of back-to-back hunts, and some fantastic finds were made. Now I can say for certain that we're back! :headbang:

Those of you who like to look at the photos only, you'll see the finds below. But for those who want to see the SNAKE, hear about the Feast, or enjoy the humor of the hunt, please watch this video:

Day 1 started off with a bang. I got a call from Shanegalang as I was en route to the site and he as shouting that he'd just dug a cut spanish silver! He gets to mark that one off his bucket list. When I got there, I saw that he had a quarter-cut 8 Reales in his hand!

cut silver.jpg 2R rev.jpg

I got to digging, and he started finding CW-era bullets and a late date Indian Head. Then he got a decent 1888 Seated. Finally I answered with an 1876-S Seated Dime of my own. That's actually my first S-mint coin dug in the Deep South, so I was pleased to get it. I rounded out the day with an 1864 Indian.

182_0723.JPG shanegalang 1888.jpg shanegalang IH.jpg
HPIM4548.JPG HPIM4549.JPG HPIM4550.JPG

Day 2 started off with a bang as well. I walked up on an on-edge silver sticking halfway out of the ground. When I knelt down I could see that it was a Cap and Rays 1 Real sticking out of the ground! Check these photos out!

182_0739.JPG 182_0733.JPG 182_0745.JPG

HPIM4558.JPG HPIM4559.JPG

Then Shanegalang dug beautiful condition 1840-O Seated Half Dime. Strangely enough, I dug another 1840-O Seated Half Dime about an hour later, also the "without drapery" variety, but mine was worn smooth! :D Here they are side by side:

100_5699.JPG HPIM4554.JPG

I also got a decent 1887 Seated Dime. Here are a couple photos:

HPIM4556.JPG HPIM4557.JPG

Towards the end I got a nice convex pre-CW eagle button, which is the first military of the year for us.

HPIM4560.JPG HPIM4561.JPG

Those of you who've been watching our signature line must think it's strange that we dug 27 Reales last year and this year our first two are in May. It's a combination of several things. We've only dug about 10 hunts this year so far, which averages to one hunt every other week, and many of those were scouting missions. (Last year we would've had over 30 hunts by Mid-May.) The second reason is that some key fields have crop. And finally, we got sucked into a site that had lots of new silver back in January because it was fun to dig quantity over quality just this once. :) At any rate, it feels like we're on our normal course with Reales and Military again. Looking at the combined finds from the back-to-back hunts, I was very pleased:

HPIM4553.JPG shanegalang.jpg
HPIM4563.JPG 100_5706.JPG

Shanegalang got one more really cool find at the closing bell... (forgive the pun!) :laughing9:

It's a bell-shaped silver pendant made by E. Dusse which features the Spanish American War Cruiser the U.S.S. New Orleans! I'm assuming that this manufacturer was a silversmith/metallurgist. According to my research, Ernest Dusse had a shop at 218 Bourbon Street in New Orleans. He made some mardi gras favors out of silver, like this beautiful example from 1899:

E. Dusse mardi gras favor pin 1899.jpg

Here's Shanegalang's Silver Bell. I'm not certain if this was a souvenir, or favor, or was presented to the Navy crew on the ship. Any info you can add to this story is much appreciated. In the meantime, here's a photo of Shanegalang's find, alongside a photo of the U.S.S. New Orleans taken around 1900.

100_5697.JPG U.S.S. New Orleans.jpg

Best Wishes,

Cane Bandits.jpg

The CaneField Bandits

Last edited:
Upvote 35

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
let me be the first to congratulate you on a truly epic hunt!

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Welcome back! awesome finds, look forward to more posts!!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great to see you fellas back and killing it with some great finds Buck. Always enjoy your well written posts

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
What an amazing couple of days. Thanks for sharing with us. Hope your luck continues.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What's there not to like about a hunt that produces finds like that, congrats.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds, that bell is a real stand out. You guys were sure on the silver, congrats.
ZDD

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahhhhhhhhh it's good to be back in action! I have the fever again, like I'm sick! Cant wait to get back at it! Congrats on your great finds and congrats (pats self on back) on mine:laughing7:-----------Shanegalang-----------The Canefield Bandits

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely great finds!! Congrats!

-- Jeff --

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a SILVER SUMMER ahead for the Canefield Bandits with some CIVIL WAR mixed in as well. I like it all but especially the eagle button. Shane's bell is really nice too. Good to talk to you yesterday & we will see you at the end of the month. HH, Q.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver galore Will...I'll save the video for tonight and watch it with a few beers..:occasion14:

SS

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back! awesome finds, look forward to more posts!!

I've been lurking, just not posting much. But I'm looking forward to more posts too! :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds, that bell is a real stand out. You guys were sure on the silver, congrats.
ZDD

There's a frequency on the F75 that is hotter on silver than the others. I know this to be true, because on my machine silver sounds better on that one than the other 6 operating frequencies. That said, there is a lot of silver in the ground down here in LA. Ya just gotta hunt the right spots.

Cheers,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions