Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Been there often 35 to 40 years ago. I had a friend who found some major gold in just a few days (a couple ozs and a 1/3 oz nugget) dredging the lower end of the BLM admin land. Now such activities are curtailed and one would have to focus on just digging and sluicing....which can be rewarding if done in the right place. Everyone always talked about the south fork but the main stem down at the bottom of the cable blocked skid road is off the beaten path. Not many people know that the skid road takes you down to the downstream bottom of the BLM location...outside the campground.
You might be able to get away with doing this though:
There is a campground and you can run a generator......there are some "next to the creek camp spots". Take a 100 foot extension cord and run it across the creek to the "fork junction" exposed bedrock. Take an electric shop vac and vacuum up the crevices in the bedrock. Then run that material through a sluice you have set up in the creek. It can be productive as well. Years ago they started to ban digging in the river banks. Oregon has become a state that makes it hard to extract gold! And upon reading the BLM rules I guess running a sluice is not an option without a State permit. Basically just panning is allowed and after reading the BLM rules I am not sure how you are allowed to get material to put in your pan......as there is no digging allowed So my next recommendation is to get a 2 inch suction gun. I like the shrimp guns; available at coastal Bi Mart Stores. Suck up in water cracks and crevices....shoot the material into a shallow square container and then pan that material.

Lots of poison oak.

Bejay

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions