May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skeleton Key, MAry Garden Compac, '61 IH, Many Buckles

Well I don't find many of these old keys, like old toys. This is only the second skeleton key, compared to hundreds of old coppers so I like it.

find13-63-1.JPG

Got this large compac cover, very large, has some interesting history too. I think c1916.
Collecting Vintage Compacts: Rigaud - Part 2 - Innovative Design but Conservative Decoration

find13-63-2.JPG

I got myself a new toy a larger tumbler for cleaning up relics, so I threw in my horse buckles, and some misc. along with 4 or 5 hundred pennies, let it spin for 4 hours or so. If you wanted stuff shinny it would take a bit longer, but they are at least clean.

IMG_0880.JPG

I just might have another sword pomel on the left side 2/3 way down, not saying it is, but maybe. I like those funny looking "trunk handles" too'.
Found this 1861 fattie in amonst the pennies, which otherwise would have got rolled up.

IMG_0882.JPG

Yes it is in poor shape, but only my 4th, maybe 5th IH for the year, so better than throwing it away ?

Upvote 6

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
I like keys ,especially when they look that good!

Good job on the tumbling, makes the crusty old finds look a little better for sure!

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That little key is a great find. Wow look at all those buckles

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like keys ,especially when they look that good!

Good job on the tumbling, makes the crusty old finds look a little better for sure!

Thanks IH, I'm going to take one of those buckles, and make a new belt for myself (well a nearby harness maker will)

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That little key is a great find. Wow look at all those buckles

Thanks Greylock, I do think so too. BTW those buckles are just from this digging season. As I stated in my french coin post a quarter million holes (in my 6 years) and I think that a fairly accurate number. (I used to dig a bunch of clad in my first couple of years, this year only about 150 bucks)

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That tumbler works great Rick! That stuff really looks nice. Might have to check into one. Thanks for sharing

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That key is pretty nice. I just found an iron key-like relic the other day. Definitely not common to find keys, at all.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking key and it's an item that's not dug all that often considering the amount of holes dug. The results of the tumbling is very nice indeed, makes a great display the way it is.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Greylock, I do think so too. BTW those buckles are just from this digging season. As I stated in my french coin post a quarter million holes (in my 6 years) and I think that a fairly accurate number. (I used to dig a bunch of clad in my first couple of years, this year only about 150 bucks)

That's some serious digging. I dug just over 150 today. Wonder what I'm up to in my two years. That's about how many buckles I have in two years. Wish it was that a season. Congrats. You have some amazing area to hunt. Can't wait to see whats next.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some serious digging. I dug just over 150 today. Wonder what I'm up to in my two years. That's about how many buckles I have in two years. Wish it was that a season. Congrats. You have some amazing area to hunt. Can't wait to see whats next.

You mean 150 holes today ? That's very respectable, esp. for relic hunting. How many days hunted ?

I keep a very simple journal,
date, who with, where, signifigant finds, hours spent, photo number
EX.
Oct 30 / ZDD +me / XYZ(not real) / crotal bell, 2 coppers / 4 hours / find 13-63a,b,c,etc.

Admitted not as elaborate as Bill Ds system, but works for me.

From this I can quickly know from where a find came, and where to find the pic. on my computer.

You only have to wait one day...Me and ZDD are a digging tomorrow in the rain, and flurries (predicted) should be something though.

Good Luck Out There.

Rick

Last edited:

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
150 holes in 8 hours just today. Usually I take home a third of that but there has been a few days close to a hundred or just over. I keep a journal also but never kept track of the scrap. Today my pack was a little heavier so I figured I'd count it all up.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find...I've got to get me a tumbler and start repurposing some finds!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
150 holes in 8 hours just today. Usually I take home a third of that but there has been a few days close to a hundred or just over. I keep a journal also but never kept track of the scrap. Today my pack was a little heavier so I figured I'd count it all up.

I don't keep accurate track of all that junk either, sometimes I empty the pouch several times a hunt, and some places are littered with can slaw, and what not. Actually that is why I have totally lost interest in orchards. I know one for sure is a good one, but I can't stand all the pop, and sardines cans. Maybe someday when there is nothing else left to do. AND then I think I look for something else.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Key looks super! May be the detector Designers can come up with a modern metal trash disc control, cause 50 years down the road can slaw will still be can slaw!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The key is good, can't say I've had many like that.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice stuff Rick. I've had similar experiences with skeleton keys. They're not all that old, but for some reason I seem to find more of those large colonial iron ones. Nice copper and compact too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread