Sketch of a locomotive

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent most of the day today, on and off, sketching a locomotive I thought was neat looking. I copied this from a photo on the net. Now I'm told I have to get it matted and framed. Guess I should put the ol' sketch pad up if it's going to cost me every time I sketch something. :)

Attachments

• sketch1.jpg
    sketch1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 142

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very good packerbacker, what did you draw with, looks charcoal? or is it pencil?. it is a neat looking locomotive... your very talented.:notworthy:

I worked in a mine in Leadville Colorado in the later 1970s. This fellow at the mine liked to draw. His name was Art DuPont and I would watch him draw on his sketch pad as he did that all the time. I watched him one time draw a miner we called the "Big Bow" on the wall of a place we called the warm-up shack. "Big Bow" was sleeping and It was funny when "Big Bow" woke-up and saw a drawing of him sleeping on the wall of the old shake we found refuse in from 11'000 ft elevation winters. I'm so fascinated with folks who have a talent like yours. Keep at it, Your Good!

Art's web link I wonder if he'd even still be around?...Leadville, Colorado paintings & sketches, Art DuPont

Last edited:
OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tamrock. Yss, it's mostly charcoal and I used an India ink drawing pen for the fine outlines. I drew it on 9x12 watercolor paper. If you click on it you'll get a larger version that shows the outlines better. Thanks again. I haven't done any drawing for some time now and found it relaxing as it usually is. :)

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Packbacker,

And Kudos to you! To me, that looks better than any Picasso I've seen.:notworthy: I can't even draw a good stickman.

Homar

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey PackerBacker? Is there anything you don't do? That is very nice work. How long did it take you?

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the kind comments. Sheperdess, it took me a day of sketching a little, walk away to do other stuff and then sketch some more. Maybe 8-10 hours total. I find it very relaxing compared to ALL the other stuff I do. :) :)

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Packerbacker, I used to sell the majority of my stuff un-matted and un-framed, and point out to the buyer how much they were saving, and how they could go get it framed to their own liking.

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I matted and framed it pretty cheaply. My son convinced me to add a little smoke coming out of the stack too so the pic has changed a little. Thanks again for the comments. You still drawing rginn? With all those tourists you could do well with mountain villiage type stuff or hang out at your harbor. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread