Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my effort to hunt new areas, I ventured in to a very small section of woods crammed in between two neighborhoods near my home. There are no trails, and loads of fallen trees and boulders of various sizes. A small stream runs down the center, ending in a swamp at the base of the hill. Not an easy spot to detect. My first find was an older tack buckle

01.jpg

Looking around I noticed what was either an old deer blind, or a small animal pen...not really sure. Here is a picture of the hole, along with a shot of the immediate area

03.jpg 04.jpg
I took my time scouring this spot, and was rewarded with several nice items. First was a 1875 Seated Dime:
02.jpg

Here's a better picture of the dime, along with a 1942 Washington quarter that I found near by:

07.jpg
08.jpg

Next was a large cent. Sadly, the coin dried out on the way home, and the top layer flaked off. I could see a lot more detail when it came right out of the ground. I'm pretty sure it is a Draped Bust LC ( 9.0 g, 28-ish mm):

05.jpg
010.jpg
011.jpg

I also came across a brass ring. Here's a picture of it , along with the buckle to add some scale:

09.jpg

With the exception of the Washington quarter, all of the other desirable finds were in a 20 foot square area right in front of the blind/ pen. Thanks for taking a look.
Happy Hunting all! Scott

Upvote 42

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my effort to hunt new areas, I ventured in to a very small section of woods crammed in between two neighborhoods near my home. There are no trails, and loads of fallen trees and boulders of various sizes. A small stream runs down the center, ending in a swamp at the base of the hill. Not an easy spot to detect. My first find was an older tack buckle

View attachment 2135785
Looking around I noticed what was either an old deer blind, or a small animal pen...not really sure. Here is a picture of the hole, along with a shot of the immediate area

View attachment 2135791 View attachment 2135792
I took my time scouring this spot, and was rewarded with several nice items. First was a 1875 Seated Dime:
View attachment 2135793
Here's a better picture of the dime, along with a 1942 Washington quarter that I found near by:

View attachment 2135801 View attachment 2135802
Next was a large cent. Sadly, the coin dried out on the way home, and the top layer flaked off. I could see a lot more detail when it came right out of the ground. I'm pretty sure it is a Draped Bust LC ( 9.0 g, 28-ish mm):

View attachment 2135805 View attachment 2135798 View attachment 2135799
I also came across a brass ring. Here's a picture of it , along with the buckle to add some scale:

View attachment 2135803
With the exception of the Washington quarter, all of the other desirable finds were in a 20 foot square area right in front of the blind/ pen. Thanks for taking a look.
Happy Hunting all! Scott
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!!

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2135785

View attachment 2135791 View attachment 2135792
View attachment 2135793

View attachment 2135801 View attachment 2135802

View attachment 2135805 View attachment 2135798 View attachment 2135799

View attachment 2135803
Happy Hunting all! Scott
Congrats

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That little set of woods was very good to you. Just like many other areas around the country, society is encroaching on many potential sites loaded with great relics. We just need to find them all before that happens. 8-)

OP
OP
Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That little set of woods was very good to you. Just like many other areas around the country, society is encroaching on many potential sites loaded with great relics. We just need to find them all before that happens. 8-)
So true.....so true.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post. Congrats on the old coins and relics. I’m jealous of all the old old stuff you guys find up your way.
MM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread