Ski resorts ?

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Sounds like a great idea. Maybe a concession area? Start area for lift chairs. Good luck

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I've done one that's not far from me a few times but not in about 10 years. I've found the best spots at the bottom where people take off their skis and their gloves. Lot's of people lose rings taking off their gloves.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done the Santa fe ski area a couple of times , tons of clad , no gold yet - definitely worth a try !

OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done one that's not far from me a few times but not in about 10 years. I've found the best spots at the bottom where people take off their skis and their gloves. Lot's of people lose rings taking off their gloves.

That was the thought I had.

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like a great idea. Maybe a concession area? Start area for lift chairs. Good luck

I would try scanning at at top where people attempt to get off the ski-lift. Lots of them pay homage to the ski gods by immediately plopping down to their knees and, maybe, make a donation while they try to get back up.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
When buying my first detector from a famous treasure hunter in the mid 80's I remember him telling me that they used to go up to Vail in the 70's and find better than minimum wage in silver coins.
Another fella I bought my coin tumbler from used to go to ski area parking lots and work them in the off season. He had some success.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked in to that and Vail Resorts said not only no but hell no to detecting on any of their properties. Maybe I shouldn't have asked permission, but I didn't pursue it any further.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve done a few and there are lots of coins under the chair lifts. I talked to a worker at a high end resort who had lost a gold ring taking off his glove. I never did find it. I would love to spend more time at them. Especially where people take on and off there gloves. I always imagine rings galore at the chair lifts. I did find this necklace buried down a few. If you have the chance just go. Worst that would happen is you would be asked to leave. The parking lot areas where they dump the snow have massive amounts of trash. 5268FBFD-B5F6-46F6-9193-A66E2742B587.jpeg A9A47C34-7AB0-4DF7-8302-3F0B9F5F8A9E.jpeg

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The parking lots are the honey pot.

People wear gloves in winter. People take gloves off to reach in pocket, open car doors and move luggage. Cold weather shrinks finger size and numbs the hands. Rings fall off when gloves come off, change spills out of pockets and all manner of good (and bad) stuff is dropped by cold hands. It all ends up in the snow covered parking lot which is then plowed over to the side in big piles. Those big piles melt in the spring when no one is there.

I know a couple who supported themselves for three years working the spring weather piles on the edges of ski resort parking lots. They didn't bother with the lifts etc. after the first year.

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Idaho near the Sun Valley Lodge and Ski Resort. Movie Starrs live here, not in L.A. They only stay in L.A. when working. I have had breakfast with Arnold Schwarzenegger, however, he didn't know I was there. He just looked at me with pity for being just another Old Fat Guy! Many other stars live up here also and they all ski at Sun Valley. With that being said, in summer or winter, their security is reminiscent of the Cheka, or the Nazi Storm Troopers. If I took my metal detector up on their slopes, I could be shot. A few years back, I took my Drone way back on a quiet road and did a lift off. In 5 minutes, the Sun Valley Police Department were there telling me to take it down and leave, NOW! You may have better luck wherever you detect a Ski Resoert but as for me, completely out of the question. Since Arnold brow beat me for being a fat guy, I have however, started hiking the trail up to the Gondola and then riding down. It's about 5 miles one way. That is about the only activity that is accepted here, for an unknown old fat guy like me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread