Skull & Crossbones Poison Bottle, Huge Clay Marble Hoard, etc.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excavated all of this today:
20230622_150011.jpg

From one tiny area I dug 34 clay marbles, 3 glass marbles, and several particularly round acorns and chestnuts (two of them pictured bottom left in the picture above). I can only imagine the acorns and chestnuts served as marble substitutes. Some were so round that they fooled me, and I ended up squishing several by accident trying to clean them.

Excavating the marbles:
20230622_150459.jpg

Cleaned up:
20230622_150256.jpg

This is the tooled Tincture of Iodine bottle:
20230622_150517.jpg

Upvote 38
OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool finds. Don't know anything about marbles, Are clay marbles really old, collectable?
They're fairly collectable as they date from the 19th through early 20th century however they are very common and therfore inexpensive due to mass production. Here is an article about them I found for you:

"From the late 19th century through the early 20th century, clay marbles were mass produced in the U.S. and Germany. Some clay marbles were made with rough tan, red, brown, or grey clay; some dyed in a range of colors (called “polished” marbles); and some glazed.

Samuel Dyke, an American newspaper owner in Akron, Ohio, started a business to mass-produce clay marbles in 1884, which made the price for these toys plunge. For probably the first time in history, a child could purchase a toy for themselves: a small bag of clay marbles for a penny. Because they were so common, clay marbles were nicknamed “commies” and were played with by kids in the 19th and early 20th century."

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds... the stopper on the Richard bottle is spectacular!
Yes, the Richard Hudnut hair tonic bottles had this removable metal stopper, last person to use the bottle put it back before tossing it, first time I found one with the metal stopper!
20230622_213531.jpg

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're fairly collectable as they date from the 19th through early 20th century however they are very common and therfore inexpensive due to mass production. Here is an article about them I found for you:

"From the late 19th century through the early 20th century, clay marbles were mass produced in the U.S. and Germany. Some clay marbles were made with rough tan, red, brown, or grey clay; some dyed in a range of colors (called “polished” marbles); and some glazed.

Samuel Dyke, an American newspaper owner in Akron, Ohio, started a business to mass-produce clay marbles in 1884, which made the price for these toys plunge. For probably the first time in history, a child could purchase a toy for themselves: a small bag of clay marbles for a penny. Because they were so common, clay marbles were nicknamed “commies” and were played with by kids in the 19th and early 20th century."

Thank you for all that information. I'll be keeping an eye out for one.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great day of digging you had, congrats.
Liking the amber poison bottle, and the complete Richards.
Getting the stopper is a winner for sure.
Nice history on the company and the product

Well done on the collection of clay marbles, how cool is that getting so many.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Great day of digging you had, congrats.
Liking the amber poison bottle, and the complete Richards.
Getting the stopper is a winner for sure.
Nice history on the company and the product

Well done on the collection of clay marbles, how cool is that getting so many.
Very interesting story. Thanks

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excavated all of this today:
View attachment 2090197

From one tiny area I dug 34 clay marbles, 3 glass marbles, and several particularly round acorns and chestnuts (two of them pictured bottom left in the picture above). I can only imagine the acorns and chestnuts served as marble substitutes. Some were so round that they fooled me, and I ended up squishing several by accident trying to clean them.

Excavating the marbles:
View attachment 2090195

Cleaned up:
View attachment 2090196

This is the tooled Tincture of Iodine bottle:
View attachment 2090194
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread